Butches Bore shine

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Butches Bore shine

Post by ChrisF »

Has anyone ever tried Butch’s Bore shine to clean their guns
Woody

Re: Butches Bore shine

Post by Woody »

Chris,

I use it when I want to thoroughly clean. It is especially useful in removing copper fouling. Not so much in removing lead fouling.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I often use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine for the first couple patches. It seems pretty good on powder fouling, but ineffectual on lead.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Windex with vinegar does a very good job of removing Black powder fouling,etc.
Tight fitting patch with turpentine for lead removal.
beltfed/arnie
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I use Baby wipes for swabbing between shots and for clean up at the end. I use Ed’s red in the bore which gets lead out pretty well for the final cleaning and I use whatever weight motor oil I am currently using for storage between range trips.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The original question was concerning Butches Bore Shine, but since it has now gone off point, I use soap and water for range cleaning and then follow with a single Rem Oil soaked patch. I've used the windex with vinegar, but since vinegar is a very mild acid, I choose now not to use it now. I have also used the Ed's Red, Dago Red, and any number of other store-bought solutions. They all work to some degree, but plain old soap and water is a whole lot cheaper and effective as a black powder solvent/cleaning solution. I do use those other solutions when cleaning up my "white" powder weapons, hence my use of Butches. I like for that purpose.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Sorry for my drift, looks like Butch’s make a BP specific cleaner, I’ve not used it but I have used some of the BP cleaners and I didn’t find they did anything better than soap and water followed by oiling.

I think a lot of these concoctions are stuff we as shooters already know about that have been pre packaged and sold as new idea.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Dont use the BP stuff but the regular in my modern guns.......works great.

For BP guns its water an oil, just like when im at the range shooting, followed by a oil patch.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Report Quote
Post by Kenny Wasserburger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:01 pm

On the subject of Carbon fouling.

Few years back I was attending the Shot Show and had heard of Butch Fisher and his Bore Shine Products. I had also heard Butch had formuated a BP Cleaning product.

Since the Lyman group had Bought up Butch's products to sell, I dropped by the Lyman Booth to vist with Butch. A very nice gentleman in his fresh bib overalls, who happens to have been quite the bench rest shooter when he was in him Prime. I had a great vist with Mr. Fisher and am so glad I took the time to vist with him as he has now since Passed away.

Upon my return home I called up BACO and ordered one bottle of Butch's BP Bore Shine which contains MP-7 for the carbon fouling. This I had found out at the SHOT Show from Butch. I had learned a few years prior to this about MP-7 from Kelley O. and Dick Hanson and its qualitys of cleaning BP Guns.

I found lots of stuff in my so called clean barrels, after trying some Butch's in them. My chance to show fellow shooters was at Ten Sleep a couple months later in April, Bryan and Jimbo had both cleaned up their rifles after practice day, and I asked them to try a patch with Butch's stuff in their barrels, The looks on the two of them faces was priceless.

Needless to say, they both now use Butch's BP Bore Shine.

As an aside, both Lilja and Douglas recomend Butch's for cleaning their Barrels.

The next years show, I stopped by, thanked Mr Fisher for a great product and told him about my introduction to my shooting friends of his product, we both got a chuckle and I left him smiling, which will always be my memory of Mr Butch Fisher.

As you may of guessed, Dora is setting in the rack after a good cleaning with Butch's BP Bore Shine.

KW
The Lunger
Tollofson Class Shooter
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks Kenny I guess if you use it you tried it that’s good enough for me thank you