Combs

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

Combs

Post by Ray Newman »

Found this while looking for somehting else @ the Cabela’s site. Might come in handy for some.

If you can’t see the sight while LR shooting , these ‘Comb Raising Kit’ maybe the cat’s pajamas.

I’ll bet it’s not legal for NRA-sanctioned silhouette, but I’m not sure ‘bout LR or Creedmoor shooting.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I also looked @ a few other site & found a similar item:

Cheekrest comes with enough Velcro to fit around of stock and features a non-slip rubber underside to help prevent unwanted movement. Comes in either Nylon or Suede.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/Gun_Part ... sories.htm
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Noticed all of em are fitted to centerfire rifles. I'm wondering if typical BPCR recoil along with a hefty cheek weld would tend to cause these things to continuously slip forward eluding exact-consistent cheek placement. The one in the first link with the butt strap looks like it might work, but the Beartooth in the 2nd link???
Is anyone using these?
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Don't quote me on this, but I think I saw Steve and Beth Morris using them at the upper Nisqually shoot.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ray, the one sold by Creedmoor is one of the best, and has different thickness inserts that make it adjustable for comb height. One of these is essential for consistant spot weld in long range shooting, and they work very well. I also have a different type that is sold by Buffalo Arms that works fairly well, but is not adjustable for height. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

All three styles will work fine for the rifles we shot. I especially like the looks of the BearTooth design as it looks like you could add more then one layer (combining two) for the custom high needed at 1000 yards. I have seen guys using those from Creedmore and althogh they liked them, their biggest complant was getting the correct hight needed for the longer ranges.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for a Shooter to visit a plastic supply store & look for some plastic or foam that could be made as an insert(s ) & build one up for each of the yardages that he/she most commonly shoots?

I guess the Really Creative Ones among us could fashion the outer part from leather so as to give it a ‘period correct‘ appearence….
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
hepboy

Post by hepboy »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... lts1.jhtml

I am using this style on my rifle. I do not know if it complys with any BPCR rules. It does have a tendancy to want to slide forward on the stock unless you loop the tie strings over the butt and then tie in on. It does come in three different comb heights.

Keith
It is better to have a gun and not need it---
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi Guys :D

Here's the expensive option, with my hi - wall I have two stocks. One is for short range 200 to 400 yards and then the second one which is about an inch higher in the comb is for 600 to 1000 yards. This 'long range' stock has a cut out to allow the sight to fold back into it for cleaning, which also protects the sight while in transit.
The only problem is when you forget to take the long range one off and do off hand at short range.

Regards

Dave
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

David Shaw, I am curious, do you really change the buttstock everytime you want to shoot diffent distances? It would seam to me that after a while nothing would fit very tight or am i missing something here? I,m not trying to be critical here? Just curious.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Jerry :D

In short, yes I do change the stocks over. However I do not shoot over 600 yards that much, four or five times a year. Having the higher comb stock does mean that I can get a good head / sight line up each time with out worrying about a pad being in the right place each time.

Regards

Dave