Set-Triggers “rule” when shooting the chickens

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Re: Set-Triggers “rule” when shooting the chickens

Post by SSShooter »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 am As I recall, when Ron Calderone shot his Grand Slam Iron Sight Score of ten chickens in a row he was using an1885 Browning Silhouette Rifle in
45-70.
That seals it. Either no-set trigger (Ron) or single-set (Brian) is the way to go for chickens. The rest of us are wasting our time/money with DSTs. ;)
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

SSShooter wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm
desert deuce wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 am As I recall, when Ron Calderone shot his Grand Slam Iron Sight Score of ten chickens in a row he was using an1885 Browning Silhouette Rifle in
45-70.
That seals it. Either no-set trigger (Ron) or single-set (Brian) is the way to go for chickens. The rest of us are wasting our time/money with DSTs. ;)
Dang Glenn,

I wish I had your insight and power of deduction. :roll: :lol: Now I need to sell my Shiloh Sharps and get something with a nice DST. :(

Nope, I believe I'll continue to shoot the Browning's and the Sharps at local matches, but I will likely use the Sharps at Regional, State and National matches. Who knows, one additional hit on the chickens may put me in the winning box, not that I'll ever in my lifetime catch up with Ron or Brian. I did win the 2019 Texas State Match with the Sharps so maybe there's hope for me in the future. :mrgreen:

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Rifle with a fast lock time helps with chickens also, ex. Hepburn.

OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is one of the reasons I so like the Martini Cadets for our clang and bang offhand Silhouette target matches. I don't know of any other rifle with a faster lock time or shorter striker travel. And with the .357 Max and Mag cartridges shooting 216 grain gas check bullets with the flat trajectory and light recoil should provided a good advantage over a long day.
They sure are fun to shoot and have a frugal diet of lead and powder. All three of mine have sear lifts and the triggers break cleanly right at 2.5 -3 lbs.