Case Cleaning

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Case Cleaning

Post by Glen Ring »

I had two vibratory case cleaners and inherited another new one with a LOT of new media when a friend passed away.
Today I found a Lyman sonic case cleaner and gave it to Jeanne as a late Christmas present. MAN, does it clean cases inside and out.And in just a few minutes.
1/2 simple green 1/2 water and the machine works miracles. Jeanne will never brush cases and primer pockets again.
Wayne was right.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
George Babits

Re: Case Cleaning

Post by George Babits »

Is that the 2500 or 6000 model?

George
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

George
It's the Lyman turbo sonic 1200. It was on clearance so I bought Jeanne one. Now she's hooked.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Glen,

You've got me confused now. I see the 2500 and 6000 Ultrasonic cleaners, but isn't the 1200 a vibratory cleaner?

George
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

No sir...it's a wet, Ultra sonic cleaner.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Glen,

That's what has me confused as I only see a 2500 and a 6000 Turbo Sonics listed. Maybe the 1200 was being phased out and replaced by the 2500. The only 1200 I see is a vibratory cleaner.

So how many 45-70 cases will it hold and how often do you have to change the cleaning solution? It certainly seems like a much better way to clean brass than hand scrubbing.

George
TAA

Post by TAA »

I've been thinking hard about making the leap from my Dillon CV-2001 vibratory case cleaner to a tumbler with the stainless pins, etc. to do a better job on the inside of the case than the vibratory unit is doing. However, it does do great on the outside of the case.

Going to the Lyman web site, the 1200 there appears to be a vibratory, dry media type. There is a rotary tumbler which discusses the use of the stainless pins, etc. that they call their Cyclone Rotary Tumbler, for about $260, they also display a Turbo Sonic Ultrasonic case cleaner 6000 for about $383. The top of their line unit is the Turbo Ultrasonic Power Professional for about $2000, big enough for a barreled action but that's way off the radar screen for me.

Other manufacturers have been discussed on this forum and maybe others will chime in to help us first time liquid/pins buyers?

Thanks!

Tom
TAA

Post by TAA »

I've been thinking hard about making the leap from my Dillon CV-2001 vibratory case cleaner to a tumbler with the stainless pins, etc. to do a better job on the inside of the case than the vibratory unit is doing. However, it does do great on the outside of the case.

Going to the Lyman web site, the 1200 there appears to be a vibratory, dry media type. There is a rotary tumbler which discusses the use of the stainless pins, etc. that they call their Cyclone Rotary Tumbler, for about $260, they also display a Turbo Sonic Ultrasonic case cleaner 6000 for about $383. The top of their line unit is the Turbo Ultrasonic Power Professional for about $2000, big enough for a barreled action but that's way off the radar screen for me.

Other manufacturers have been discussed on this forum and maybe others will chime in to help us first time liquid/pins buyers?

Thanks!

Tom
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

This is the one Glen is talking about.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-son ... se-cleaner

I use an STM Rotary Tumbler with stainless pins and Shooter 2 cleaner from Greg Vest.

Does a good job for me. https://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

George
It will only hold 60 or 70 40-65 cases. That's about what Jeanne shoots in a practice session. Remember..this is Jeanne's and I'll probably still be doing the brush out case and primer pocket shuffle.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Thanks Glen,

Usually that is more than I am cleaning at any one time from an afternoon's shooting. I think I may have to get one.

Do you use fresh simple green/water mix each time or can you reuse it several times?

Gosh that might be a perfect way to clean the block of an 1863 paper cartridge Sharps or a cap and ball revolver. Might have to get the bigger one for the revolver though.

George
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Depending on how dirty the cases are i guess. We have cleaned a couple of batches before switching out fresh liquid. Yes, that would be fine for gun parts I think. The basket that holds the brass is only 5 inches x 61/2 inches.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Santa brought me one of those but havn't had the chance to use it yet. Glad to hear it works good though!
Chris
Chris Wilson
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Glen Ring wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:14 pmDepending on how dirty the cases are i guess. We have cleaned a couple of batches before switching out fresh liquid.
Unless you've changed, don't believe you shoot BP. Am wondering if Jean shoots BP or does she also shoot that fake stuff ? Otherwise, you've not cleaned any BP cases so we don't really know the results with same in your ultrasonic cleaner.
Glenn
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

No issues cleaning BP brass in an ultrasonic cleaner, even wihout changing the solution every time. Have been doing it close to 10 years, and still use it for the smaller quantities and smaller cases. Water, a few drops of detergent and a teaspoon of citric acid / 3 litres of water does the trick. Of course, after a few runs, you need to change. Giving the dirty cases a rinse before the ultrasonic cleaner does help.
Would you consider re-using the water from cleaning with ceramics or SS pins ?