Cutting cases to reduce length

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stoneke

Cutting cases to reduce length

Post by Stoneke »

I have a bunch of 45-90 Starline cases left over from my 45-90, that I just sold. My Farmingdale Sharps 45-70 has a chamber measuring 2.119 in length. I would like to use the 45-90 cases and trim to the precise length. Would a copper tubing cutter work to remove the greater segment and then use a case trimmer to finalize the operation. Or, any other suggestions.
George Babits

Re: Cutting cases to reduce length

Post by George Babits »

I wouldn't think a pipe cutter would work worth a hoot. I usually cut close to length with a cut-off wheel in my Dremel tool and then final trim with a case trimmer. Best way would be to use a file trim die and fine tooth hacksaw and finish off with a file. The file trim dies used to be fairly inexpensive, but, like everything else, aren't really affordable for just a few cases.

George
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I use a lee case trimmer in mu lathe but a drill press would work to. Just shim behind the pilot to the length you want
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Either the Lee case trimmer set up in a drill press, and set the drill press stop to the correct length, or one of the Lyman case trimmers that you can take the turn handle off of and use the little electric drill/driver thing. Set the length stop on it and trim away. A bit of cutting oil helps the process go quicker.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

a file trim die works well.
you first hacksaw off what sticks out the top, and then tidy up with a file.
you can inside deburr while the case is in the die.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Stoneke

Post by Stoneke »

We have a Harbor Freight here in town, so I'm going to try that route. Price is not bad and I have a 100+ cases to do. How does the oal change with re-sizing and fire forming. I will be primarily shooting paper patched loads. My Shilo has a .375" freebore.
Griff

Post by Griff »

Just to add to the discussion, I actually have used a pipe cutter to make the initial cut when I'm significantly reducing the length of the brass, then used a case trimmer for the final trimming. It worked, but had some significant issues which make the other methods mentioned likely preferable. Here are a few of the negatives: It was a slow process. If rushed, it tends to bend the new case mouth in, sometimes so much it is difficult to fit over the trimmer pilot. It's easy to make a mistake and ruin the brass. Those are enough to make me recommend against it. The one positive? It is a cheap solution and used tools that I already had. Like I said, while it's possible to use that method, there are better ways.
Dangerous Freedom
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

There are probably 100 ways to accomplish this task........

Here is another thought to get your brass close to length so you can finish with your case trimmer:

https://harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-ben ... 62136.html

Ed
Rockridge
semtav

Post by semtav »

Evidently those little things are in high demand I got the last one in Billings and then did some more shopping when I got to the checkout they said oh there that one is we've been looking all over for it
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

The Harbor Freight tool is the one I use. Be sure and use a coupon to reduce the price. When I have a bunch of brass to shorten I make a wooden holder that will stop the case at the rim on one end and support the neck on the other (just an appropriate drill from each end) and fix this in the saw's vise so the saw will cut the length you want. Then, it is a simple matter to slide a case in and whack it off and repeat.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I personally use a Wilson Case Trimmer. Its like a miniature latch. I cut FL Norma brass down for my .45-90 and 110. I want for nothing using the Wilson; they make fine quality products.
When I shot greasers in my beginning BP cartridge days I used Starline brass, which worked just fine. I've kept the brass. With a few adjustments I'll make the Starline brass work well for pp-shooting also.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
TAA

Post by TAA »

A +1 for the Wilson design. Also have a Forester unit but the Wilson unit keeps things more concentric with larger diameter cases.

Tom
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Taking off a half to three quarters of an inch with a case trimmer is asking a lot of it.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

cw50-70 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 pm Taking off a half to three quarters of an inch with a case trimmer is asking a lot of it.
Not a lot of it, but a lot of you. :-)

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bushwacker2

Post by bushwacker2 »

Never had much of a problem, use a regular bench mounted case trimmer, replaced the screw holding the crank handle with a hex shaft with the same thread, then use a hand drill to turn the cutter.