Frustrating day shooting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAG4570

Re: Frustrating day shooting

Post by DAG4570 »

I don't think I have seen anyone mention to check your sight or stock screws to see if they are tight. If something is loose and tightened up it just might solve your problem. They can look tight but until you take a screwdriver to them you never know. The buffalo arms recoil pad is the only way to go in my opinion.

Dave
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have taken a real liking to the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads, they don't stick to the stock like the shooters friend pads do, and they really do soften up recoil.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I was having trouble with my 45-70 ...and then I tried working on ME. A Limb saver slip on recoil pad made a BIG difference in my prone shooting. I never realized recoil was a problem, until it was gone. Then I started going over my rifle..Yep, scope mounts and blocks were loose. Then I had Jeanne watch me..Every time I pulled my DZ scope back it was turning my windage knob! Thank goodness she caught that. When I got all of "ME" taken care of guess what..the rifle scope combo was shooting the same load quite well!!

It never hurts to take a step back and go over everything one step at a time.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thank you for all the advice, I had ordered the shoulder pad from BACO three days ago so should have that before I go shoot again.
Chris Wilson
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

charlie young wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:27 pm as a "Master Flincher, Trigger Slapper, Leaner Intoer", I have found this to be the best shoulder recoil pad, as has been mentioned. U put it on and it stays put, no slipping off your shoulder, once on it stays in place.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/large-right ... shield-lrs
as a fellow, "Master Flincher, Trigger Slapper, Leaner Intoer", :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've posted about this very recoil pad numerous times, it don't get no better,

as Charlie says, U put it on and it stays put, no slipping off your shoulder, once on it stays in place.

I've outfitted the entire family with them :D

Those days get better
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have two 45-70 match rifles that weigh about the same , one with a rubber Pachmeyer presentation and the other with a Winchester steel checkered, contoured butt plate. Shooting the same ammo in both I feel less recoil with the steel butt plate and the stock has more drop. I don't know why this should be so as they both have pistol grips as well.
I think I better weigh them again as that is the only thing I can think of that would account for it.
Bob Smith

Post by Bob Smith »

So, are you guys shooting the cartridges that only seat into the case 1/8" levering in every round? Thanks, Bob
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

mine are only in 0.080".
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Bob Smith, I am thinking that you are confusing grease groove bullets with paper patched billets.
The bore diameter paper patched bullets are normally set in the case an 1/8" or less.
They will slide into the chamber completely with no need for any "levering" gymnastics.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

There is no levering with paper patch, mine slide right in up into the bore.
Chris Wilson
semtav

Post by semtav »

mongo40 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 am There is no levering with paper patch, mine slide right in up into the bore.
Unless you shoot patched to groove and like to force them into the rifling just a tad !!