NRA in the news

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

NRA in the news

Post by SSShooter »

A recent article in the NYT about the NRA and its beloved leader (and self-appointed king), lapierre.

A new advertising campaign from Everytown for Gun Safety is targeted at an unusual demographic for an organization that promotes stricter gun laws: card-carrying, dues-paying members of the National Rifle Association.

The six-figure campaign includes television ads on Fox News, CNN and MSNBC, as well as digital ads directed at N.R.A. members and gun owners. Ads will also be shown to viewers in Virginia, where the N.R.A. has its headquarters, and Orlando, Fla., where the group’s chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, is expected to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference later this week.

“When you pay to join the N.R.A., you get a sticker — and that’s about it,” the television ad says. Over images of a shooting range and a hunter, it continues: “Today, just 10 percent of what they spend protects things like this. The rest pays for N.R.A. executives to enjoy this: designer suits from Beverly Hills, luxury trips to Italy, Hungary and the Bahamas, private jets, golden parachutes and lots of lawyers. No wonder the N.R.A. is bankrupt.”

“Ditch their sticker,” it concludes. “The N.R.A. has lost its way.”

The expenditures highlighted in the ad were largely made by Mr. LaPierre, who was sued last year, along with three other current and former N.R.A. executives, by Attorney General Letitia James of New York — a lawsuit that drove the group’s decision last month to declare bankruptcy and try to reincorporate in Texas. Ms. James accused the leaders of using the organization “as a personal piggy bank,” a phrase some of the group’s opponents have adopted.

N.R.A. members pay dues for a whole variety of reasons,” said Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action, which is part of Everytown. “But none of them do it so Wayne LaPierre can use their money for expensive suits and flights on private jets.”

Amy Hunter, a spokeswoman for the N.R.A., dismissed the ad campaign, saying, “N.R.A. members will recognize this for what it is: another transparent and failing attempt by avowed anti-Second Amendment and anti-N.R.A. billionaire Michael Bloomberg to advance President Biden’s anti-gun agenda.”

Officials at Everytown, which is backed financially by Mr. Bloomberg, said the campaign was based on research indicating that many N.R.A. members were unaware of the allegations of financial misconduct against the group, and that they were less likely to support it after hearing about those allegations.

A poll by Schoen Cooperman Research, commissioned by Everytown last summer, found that the N.R.A.’s approval rating among its members dropped about 30 percentage points on average after members were shown a series of negative messages about the group: for example, that only 10 percent of the N.R.A.’s budget goes to gun safety, education, training and hunting programs.

“The message here is that N.R.A. members have been fleeced,” Everytown’s president, John Feinblatt, said in an interview. “When you do message testing with this kind of messaging, their approval ratings sink like a rock.”
Glenn
art ruggiero

Re: NRA in the news

Post by art ruggiero »

yes, and where was NRA during the georgia runoff? art
hepburnman

Post by hepburnman »

Not the same organization it once was, for sure.
drcook

Post by drcook »

Look up who the NRA uses for their fundraising (Infocision) and how much they keep.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
JWL

Post by JWL »

Yes sadly they lost but from what I've read the NRA spent 4.5 million in the Georgia elections. Yes Wayne wears fancy suits and flies in a jet but so do all the union bosses that democrats have blindly supported since forever. I believe very little in what the media including the NY Times is going to tell us, keep in mind they love this idea that they can turn NRA members against the organization. It's the pro gun control's latest tactic, make NRA members feel like fools causing the organization to implode.

I've always said spending your money on the little sideline pro-gun rights lobby groups is a waste of money. The only group with clout is the NRA without them we are screwed! Internal corruption or not what we still have is thanks to them. Look for ways to improve the NRA, yes. Bad mouth them and say I'm done with them, never! I still proudly wave the NRA colors on my vehicles.
TimW

Post by TimW »

JWL wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 pm Look for ways to improve the NRA, yes. Bad mouth them and say I'm done with them, never! I still proudly wave the NRA colors on my vehicles.

+1
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

My range membership requires that I am a current NRA member, I would rather spend my money at WisconsinForce, SCI, etc. I would like to have that removed but, Im sure it never will.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

JWL: Agreed and well said!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well the NRA needs cleaned up just like so many of our other institutions in the land but you have to see the dirt before you can sweep it out and we now are getting a real look at things. Cheer up things are going to get better and besides it's the only game in town for gun owners.
We don't have a first amendment without the second to keep it ! One would think the media would understand that!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I don’t know about everyone else, and don’t like to toot my own horn but I not only got 2 stickers I also got a camo duffel bag made in Bangladesh.

You know they are pulling out all the stops when they are going to the expense to ship something from all that way off.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Woody

Post by Woody »

Our local club gets a few bucks from the NRA for every membership we process. Their last check to us bounced. Cost us $22 in bank fees and the NRA still has not made good. I'm getting a little discouraged.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I am not okay with the NRA wasting my money on Wayne. You might be. I believe that until the NRA membership demands accountability, this irresponsible behavior by NRA leadership will continue. As a result their influence will be eroded, and we will have only ourselves to blame.None of us would be in business very long if we conducted business like the NRA.
PhilRich

Post by PhilRich »

I agree that the NRA needs serious housekeeping, but that article is a veiled attack on firearm owners. Note the source, NYT. The gun control crowd has announced an all out attack on the NRA and firearm owners to weaken and disorganize the opposition to their agenda. I receive a lot more than a sticker for my membership fee.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

PhilRich, my comments have nothing to do with the NYT article. They are based on the events of the last two years revealing how our dues have been squandered by the NRA leadership.The NRA has done good work in the past. What has happened in the last two years threatens the NRA's ability to be a credible organization to be able to defend our gun rights. We deserve better. All I am saying is for the membership to demand accountability. Is that really too much to ask?
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

It's the oldest trick in the play-book, divide and conquer. Judging by the bitching I've seen over the last ten years about the NRA, it seems to be working.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia