40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Randy Bohannon

40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Post by Randy Bohannon »

With my 77 coming up to be built in the not to distant future I had selected another 40-70 SS as a place filler with knowing I was going to most likely change that. Was hoping the 77 would come in 44-77 but that’s not happening as I understand it. This rifle is for when I’m old someday and want a pleasant easy to load and get brass for cartridge. I have settled on the 40-50 SBN for the ease and availability of making your own brass. Which bring me to where and whose die(s) to use or get. I will be PP’ing .Appears RCBS no longer offers custom services for dies at least it’s not on their web site. CH4D lists 40-50 Sharps (Necked) Shiloh ,would this be the die I need for the 40-50 SBN ? I am assuming it is and would like to confirm here that I’m looking at the right die(s). I do understand that I only need a sizing die if I’m P.P.’ing.
Thank you for your time.
Dan O

Re: 40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Post by Dan O »

Randy call or e-mail Shiloh and get the correct answer from them.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I used a reading sizing die to form my cases and havent used them since. Once in a great while i have to taper crimp a case but the bass doesnt move in my rifle.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

When you form these cases from 45-70 brass do you have to inside neck ream them due to the internal taper of the case? Or is the chamber cut loose enough to allow for the taper?
I ask because I have been playing around with a 44-60 bn case and there is a good bit of taper in the neck when they are necked down and shortened. The case length is about 1.87 or so.
Sam
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I didn’t have to ream either case Remington or Winchester but I did have a little bit snugger fit with the bullet that I use in the Remington cases
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I also need to mention that my chamber is tight and only accepts a pp bullet of bore diameter.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I have only played with 2 cases, A Remington that I fire fromed in a 44-77 chamber and then shortened and a shortened Starline. The starline I stuck an as case Lyman bullet in and it opened things up too big according to the chamber reamer drawing. After reaming the neck, the bullet went in crooked and the bullet was sized to .446 and was a maybe fit. PP bullets wouldn't be a problem but they only go about half way down the neck. Since I use a bushing to form the neck I can always open up the bushing as needed but was just wondering. This is kind of a long range project and I am only gathering information at the moment. Its a project on a Hepburn action casting. Unless I get a wild hair and send the barrel and my CPA up to Paul and Gail and have them fit and chamber it.
Sam
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I normally shoot PP bullets so I had no problem with 40-50 BN cases formed from 45-70. But when I did try a Brooks Chicken killer GG bullet, it was too tight pushing the bullet into the case. Never tried to chamber it.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I made a couple cases from starline and some old cut down rcbs 3&1/4 and a couple federal. All of these would not accept the bore sized bullet. I never bothered going further because the rem and w-w worked as is.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Thanks for the info. I do feel Starline is a little heavier than Rem and Win brass. If I do end up reaming the necks it shouldn't' be all that big of a deal. I picked up a forster case trimmer that works in a drill press I don't see why that wouldn't work for reaming the necks. Worse comes to worse get a wilson case holder and do it in the lathe. One nice thing about the neck being tapered a bit on the inside, a PP bullet just goes in and gets tight, no need for a crimp or anything, you push it and it just sets there nice and snug.
Sam
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

In sizing one of the case brands i noticed a bery small lip at the sho neck juncture. Could just barely feel it. It was in the inside. So you may just eyeball that area to see. I dont know if it would affect anything as nothing but powder goes past that area
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I wonder if perhaps that is where the internal taper starts? I would think that what would be the neck area of the parent case would be pretty much parallel on the inside and then the taper would start. I looked inside of the one case I reamed, it was a nickle case and had been fired so the reamer marks show up very nicely. I was hoping that the reamer would follow the inside of the case but it seems that wasn't the case. The case was chucked up in my lathe and there was some wobble and it shows on the inside of the case neck. I feel that once I get the reamer and have a chamber to work with I can make better decisions on what all will need to be done to the case. Once the cases are fire formed and trimed to the final length, then it will be time to do the fine tuneing on what all needs to be done inside the neck, if anything. I am hoping that predominately it will end up being a PP cartridge and with the internal taper in the neck, that will firmly lock the bullet into the case and not create any problems with any kind of a crimp and not cause me to have to flair the mouth any to get a bullet started.
The reamer I used was a .437 reamer if memory serves me right and my bullets patch to just over that. My other option is to open up the sizer bushing some so things are not quite so tight and see how that works.
Sam
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Nuclearcricket,
I believe that there is something amiss with that reamer dimension.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

reaming necks is fraught with danger.
it is too easy to get the hole in the middle out of line with the axis of the chamber, and then you are stuck with a lot of cases that guarantee runout in loaded ammo.
for better to outside neckturn on a correctly fitting mandrel.
the step this leaves in the case will go to the inside of the case after about 3 shots, to the extent that you cannot see it.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I sure agree with that Bruce. We played with a hepburn with a 403 bore and inside reaming was not the end all for sure.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant