Swiss powder compression question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Maj. Forrest Smith

Re: Swiss powder compression question

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Robert, when in it comes to PP bullets, I know enough to be dangerous about them. Kenny W. and Ian E. have successfully loaded really good cartridges using paper patch bullets. Kenny is very good with the .45-110 and Ian is a little more towards the .45-70. I would certainly copy or follow either of their suggestions or advice to start your load development with the Paper Patch bullets. They both have thrown a lot of lead down range with bullets with "diapers" on them. Ian uses Kenny's (Hyde's) method of Wet patching the bullet. Brent Danielson uses the Dry patch method. These 3 shooters have shown success at matches using patch bullet cartridges. There are other shooters, I just can't remember their names at the moment, lol. And you are right, it can be fun (but frustrating at times) developing consist shooting cartridges for each BP rifle a shooter gets. But don't forget to get out with friends and/or go to some matches. The best fun is being with other shooters that enjoy our love for these rifles. I pick up a little knowledge each time I go to a Match. Most of the shooters at a match will be happy to assist you and it will help take your shooting go to the next level. Don't get disappointed, you will not completely learn everything you need to know in your first week, heck, in the first year or two or three of shooting these rifles. There is a learning curve for sure. There is bullet casting, bullet design, Lead mix, breaking in (seasoning) your barrel, learning to shoot under a time limit, learning to read conditions, to spotting for others, building up your strength in holding these rifles correctly, acquiring and knowing how to use all the other stuff we have to bring to the range and then getting all back home with it again. But darn, I have had a great time in doing this. Met some really great people along the way, I have had some failures, I had some successes, but I have always enjoyed the shooting. I had a young guy ask me what is the one key to I could suggest for him to be successful, I told him, he just can't miss the first ten years of doing it.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I had a chance to test loads today at 100 yards; Five-shot groups from 108-112 grains (108,109,110, etc.) in my .45-110 16# Shiloh, equipped with MVA tang sight, and globe front sight. Right at 110 grns. I started seeing improvements in the group size. At 111.0 I had a very solid 9/16” c-c group. The 112.0-grn group looked like the 110. I was pleased. I’m going to try and improve on this 111.0-grn. group by increasing and decreasing compression a bit, and maybe even adding and subtracting a half grain of powder. Checking the notes I made while loading I found that I compressed this good starting load of 111.0 grns. of 1Fg Swiss .138”. The wad stack was one that Kenny Wasserburger recommended I try: .030” vegi-fiber over the powder (which I compressed with), a .060” poly wad, and an 1/8” felt wad from Sage Outfitters. Bullet is 533-grn. 16-1 money bullet from BACO, cast at .445”, swaged to .4425”, and wrapped with 9# 100% cotton paper. My 1Fg Goex liked 111.0 grains as well, but the Swiss load is slightly smaller. BTW, I tried running (3) damp cleaning patches through the bore between shops instead of the usual (2); the third patch came out clean. Thanks again, Kenny!
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Robert my pleasure, we must further the sport, an pay it forward.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:03 pm Robert my pleasure, we must further the sport, an pay it forward.

Kenny
Absolutely, Kenny. And, thank you for taking the time with me, friend. I’m beginning to really see the accuracy potential of these firearms. They’re outstanding.
My scope should be in soon for my newly received 16# 45-110. It’s in the heavy antique finish. New blood to the vault.
Robert
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Robert, Kenny has tried about every combination when it comes to wads. He likes nice sized groups on the target like yourself. It was wised that you asked, kind that Kenny passed on what he has done and now what he has settled on to using for his rifle(s). It will save you a lot of time, money and frustration. Each rifle is still an individual "toy" and you will need to refine what works best for you and your rifle. Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us informed of your process!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Yes, will do.
Robert