Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Hi new to black powder shooting. Ordered a Shiloh rifle a month ago. Can not wait to get it. Been trying to get equipment for reloading. Very hard to find but getting some stuff. Love to be able to shoot the quigley sometime. Any info would be great for things I need. Only rifle I have right know for black powder shooting is a Uberti 1885 high wall 45-70. Thanks.
Tomklinger

Re: New member

Post by Tomklinger »

Graybeard,
Welcome! What info on your rifle can you give?
Tom Klinger
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Buffalo Arms is a standard go-to for supplies.
You can buy cases, powder and pre-lubed cast bullets from them that, ( while not to the same standards as I cast for myself ), will get you on the line at a match. I use these when I travel over for the Silhouette Nationals and they got me into a Top Ten placing last visit. :D
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Without knowing much I will go out on a limb a little and offer up some suggestions. Guessing that your caliber of choice is someplace between 38 and 50, the American Single Shot Rifle Association site is a good place to hang out and look at stuff for sale, http://assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl. Never know who will put up what for sale and there is often some interesting reading on there as well. Another place is the Cast Boolits site, https://castboolits.gunloads.com/. They have a very active for sale section and you can find some good buys there as well. As to molds my guess is the custom mold makers are still in business such as Accurate molds and some others. Buffalo Arms is another good source for things. If you find something you want and its listed as out of stock, give them a call, especially on molds, good chance they will crank one out for you in short order. I haven't dealt much with Buffalo Arms but will say this much. I ordered a mold from them and it had a problem when I got it. I got in contact with them and they wanted it back badly, like they wanted it back yesterday. They fixed and got it back to me very quickly and it didn't cost me anything extra at all.
Other than that welcome to the madness. It will be a wait for the rifle but it will be well worth it when you open that box up.
Sam
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Hi thanks for all info. I ordered a Long Range Express 45-70. 34 inch heavy octagon barrel. Pack harden finish. AAA wood and finish. Figured get what I wanted on it she told me to order my sights later I guess back ordered. I found a Lyman postell mold .457. I was told don’t go over .458. With the Shiloh.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Have your barrel shorten to 32 or 30, you will thank me later.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Another big question is bullet alloy what to go with. I live in West Virginia not a lot of black powder shooting here other than muzzle loading. Thanks
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Kenny W.: agreed! Your posted reminded me of what the late Bill Bagwell, AKA the Redneck, would say about barrel length.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
WVsmoke

Post by WVsmoke »

Graybeard,
What area of the state do you live in. I am in the eastern panhandle and I can shoot at a couple ranges in PA( for silhouette). In eastern KY in Ashland there is a range there that some Mountaineers shoot at also. If you even visited to see the action, you would meets lots of good people see how the match works and learn a-lot about guns.... If your near Romney, WV, I would be glad to help.
Allan
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I’m in Point Pleasant WV.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

O.K. who is going to beat the hell out of him first?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Go with a 30 inch to make weight for silhouette matches all depending on what sights you put on the rifle.

Dave
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Ok. I know. Point pleasant.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I was looking at the Montana Vintage Arms sights.
WVsmoke

Post by WVsmoke »

Graybeard,
If you searched Kentucky BPCR, you will find the website for the Ashland, Ky shoot. They are having their Spring Fling match next weekend. It is a two day, 40 shot match on Saturday and Sunday with sight in on Friday. It would only be about an hour away from you and I am sure you would have a good time. I hope to be there myself. See you in the smoke....

Allan