Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: New member

Post by gunlaker »

Graybeard wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:45 pm I was looking at the Montana Vintage Arms sights.
You will be very happy with MVA sights. With respect to bullet diameter, my Shiloh .45 cal rifles ( except for my bull barrel .45-110 ) will work with either .458" or .459" bullets. The .458" bullets want a little bit of neck tension, and the .459" ones slip fit perfectly in fireformed brass.

If I had only one mold grease groove mold for my Shiloh Sharps rifles it would be the BACO 458535M1. It works well in every .45 cal rifle I own when cast in 16:1 and loaded with Swiss 1.5.

I'm sure you'll have a pile of fun with the new rifle. If I only had one rifle it'd be a Shiloh.

Chris.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Heck, Ashland KY is almost in your back yard. Come on down to see what it is all about. There are several shooters from WV, some from Ohio, Virginia. Indiana and I'm sure the MI crowd will be there. Come to meet folks and check out what they are shooting. Ask questions and learn first hand from others. The range is right off I-64 near Canonsburg about 10 miles from downtown Ashland. The dates are 4/10 and 11.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Ridgway PA isn't out of your reach as a place to shoot BPCS. I agree with the others, cut the barrel back to 30". NOw only will it make weight it will also fit into a standard rifle case. You are also not overly far from Winchester VA. Black Creek gun shop outside of Winchester is a good place to go and pick up powder, save the shipping cost. The Postel bullet is a very good choice.
Sam
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Two of my Shilohs have 34 and 32" barrels, the 34 is a LRE in 45-90 the 32" is a 45-70 Montana Roughrider. Would not change a thing, but I like Long Barrels and don't shoot Silhouette. My bull barrels are 30". Shot lots of rounds with the Lyman Postell, and will shoot right along with the other moulds I have. But do like the BACO Money Bullet and Brooks Creedmoor alot.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Sounds good I’ll try to make it thanks
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the good info. I still have to get sights for my high wall. Haven’t got to shoot it yet can’t find ammo lol. Or primers to reload. In time I guess.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Baldwin Sights makes some pretty nice sights.

They are what I use when I'm shooting irons.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Graybeard, take John Bly up on his offer and look around a lot and sound out guys shooting 34 versus 30". I think it makes ( 30") easier and more accurate holding on offhand. Yeah I have both. Good luck bobw
bobw
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Hey Coltsmoke,
With the times being what they are, maybe you should change your name to Coltwoke!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Tom
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

That's funny, I like Wokesmoke better. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Speaking 'bout barrel length, one thing to be aware of with a longer barrel is fouling control.

My .45-2.4" and .45-110 Sharps have 34 " barrels, the rolling block .45-2.1" sports a 32". Even though it does not become very dry and warm where I shoot, the morning sun shines on the barrel, heating it up. As a result, the last 2-4" of the longer barrels will foul with a hard/dry fouling and extra care is required to maintain bore conditions the length of the barrel.

My 28" and 30" barreled rifles (.45-2.1", .45-2.4", .50-70 Gov't.) do not foul out.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for info. Happy Easter
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for info. Happy Easter