Shooting at Ridgway

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RK

Shooting at Ridgway

Post by RK »

2014 was the last time I shot a silhouette match. That was the year I started building my own airplane, and was working six or seven days a week. Looking to get back into the sport last year didn’t work out. This year I managed to recruit three new shooters, of which one could not make it until next month. The two new shooters enjoyed themselves very much, and are hooked now. At least one new Shiloh rifle is ordered, and equipment being gathered. My shooting partner and I provided rifles and ammunition for the new shooters. It was great to smell black powder again, and see 27 shooters show up for the match.

Rudy
Nuclearcricket

Re: Shooting at Ridgway

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Very happy to have you back. We had a total of 3 new shooters for the match on Sunday and hope to have a few more in the near future. Sorry we didn't have better weather for the first match but then wouldn't want you to be spoiled. At least it wasn't raining. I think everyone was very happy to get back in behind the trigger.
Sam
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Indeed........ welcome back and great that you've brought out some new shooters. Great first match of the year at Ridgway.

We also had a group of younger (in their late 20's ?) shooters join us at Ridgway yesterday with a new CPA using MVA sights & Baco molds, so they have all the right equipment to become competitive. Several folks helped them get sighted-in and offered tips on loads & spotting, etc. Their loads need some work and their first 'official' score was fairly typical for a "first time" BPCR shooter on a very tough day (high winds & inconsistent direction). But, most important, they felt welcome and had a good time so they will load up some better ammo, do some practicing (believe they said their local range is only 70yd, so only so much can be done) and get better with time. They are the future of our sport.
Glenn
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

It was a fun match with challenging wind conditions, good to see new shooters, and old friends.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

It was a fun match with challenging wind conditions, good to see new shooters, and old friends.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Glenn, you are not a good judge of age of folks younger than us. Those guys were in their early 40's. I know, I asked. Only one of them shot and he is hooked. His buddy who had a rifle and ammo but did not shoot said he'll compete next month. The younger brother is likely very interested and the oldest son will probably be shooting by the end of the year. That's 4 new shooters in addition to the two others that were there. We have hope that our sport will continue.

For RK, welcome back and thanks for bringing new shooters. It was a tough day for us old farts to figure conditions and I can imagine the frustration of the new shooters. It was cloudy, dark and cold with a switching head wind that would take you from off one end of the ram to off the other end. There was no mirage, only conflicting wind flags to try to interpret. Still a few scores in the high 20's were recorded with most scores in the low 20's.

Great start for the year with 27 shooters. The target setters were fast. With 3 relays we were done by 2 PM. Awards given out and on the road by 2:20. Got home much earlier than expected, even went out for dinner with the wife and son.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
RK

Post by RK »

John, it truly was a difficult day for reading the conditions. That was a cold wind blowing ,changing very often. The two new shooters I brought were father and son. The son is 24 years old, and shot a 23,and cleaned a bank of turkeys. The father shot a 24. This is after only some practice rounds fired in my backyard. They both felt a bit overwhelmed, but had a great time, and enjoyed it much more than they imagined.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

And, our thanks to Kevin for running the match, Sam for calling the match and Craig for providing able assistance when needed. Made the match run smoothly and was over early.
Glenn
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Despite a personal equipment failure, it was a good match.
One of our new shooters, Mike, was there with his new CPA.
He shot a single digit score, was thrilled,and had a ball.
Thanks for mentoring him John.
As I was leaving Ridgway this morning I passed them.
They were heading back to the range to spend the day shooting.
Good Stuff!

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Rudy,

Especially when Iron Sight high score was a 25 and Scope was a 26.

They must have had a good spotter / mentor.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

High irons were a 29 & a 28 and high scope was a pair of 27s.
Glenn
RK

Post by RK »

Of the three new shooters I introduced to the sport, one stood out Ridgway. Jason Schiestle shot a 30, winning the match. Dave Heeter and Brian Chilson in attendance. I thought it was pretty disrespectful for him to shoot a higher score than me, considering it was only his third match and he was using my rifle! Lol. He does have a new Shiloh on order though. A good time was had by all.

Rudy