Anyone familiar with Gearbuggy spotting scope stands?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

OldVarkWSO

Anyone familiar with Gearbuggy spotting scope stands?

Post by OldVarkWSO »

Hi all -

In March I was fortunate to be part of the big black powder shoot at the Ben Avery range organized and run by Zack T. - whom I believe frequents this forum. :D

I learned a lot and hope to shoot this same match next year - hence the reason for my post. One day of the 1000 yard match, shooters were required to spot for themselves after getting on paper (had never done this before). I was able to borrow a prone spotting scope stand from a friend, but am looking to acquire one.

I found the website gearbuggy.com which shows a very high quality stand custom made by a Mr. Phil McLeod. I have sent emails and left voicemails with no reply. Before I give up on this one I thought I would check to see if anyone here knows Phil and whether or not he has just paused his business for a while.

And since we’re here, if you have a suggestion for a prone style spotting scope stand I would be happy to hear about it.

Thanks!

OVW
Dennis Armistead

Re: Anyone familiar with Gearbuggy spotting scope stands?

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I've used Gearbuggy for many years and have zero complaints. Great service also. I would suggest ordering the long spool if you do order one.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

if you can't get one of these, check out creedmoor sports.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

X2 what bruce said...I just got one from Creedmoore sports and it works perfectly!!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

My lay down spotting scope stand is from these folks, like it a lot so far, seems to be really well made. I have the one inch adjustable, if memory serves.

https://chippewafoundry.com/new-products
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

Also ... X2 what bruce said

In Eastern Canada, we are shooter/spotter. I use the Creedmoor one since more than 10 years.

Watch to be able to look through the spotting with your left eye near the scope: I mean 1 or 2 inches ... not to disturb your shooting position and still be able to look for mirage, wind, etc.

But this is just one way of doeing...

Gerald
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

When you fellas talk about the one that Creedmoor sports makes are you referring to the pole cat?
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

ian45662 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:00 am When you fellas talk about the one that Creedmoor sports makes are you referring to the pole cat?

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/search? ... at&x=0&y=0
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Thanks
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

Hi all -

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I had seen the Creedmoor Sports website and their stand looks quite nice too. I was able to get through to Phil today. His uncle, Wayne McLeod who owned and operated Gear Buggy passed away in late January. Phil intends to keep the business going, but is still working through the legal issues of doing this. He said to get in touch in a couple of weeks. Wayne’s optic stands have a following as there are 15 to 20 other folks like myself waiting to order when Gear Buggy is back up and running.

If you are in the market for a spotting scope stand that can be used while prone, the Gear Buggy looks very well made.

Cheers -

OVW
craneman

Post by craneman »

I think it's worth the wait, I really like mine. I saw
references to as a "mobil stripper pole" on some other forums before I ordered mine and while it is descriptive I would have to agree! 😁
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Dennis Armistead wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:18 pm I've used Gearbuggy for many years and have zero complaints. Great service also. I would suggest ordering the long spool if you do order one.
Dennis
+++1

I use mine to spot out to 1200 yards shooting from prone. I would buy it again!
See the other Washington, Eastern!