Gun Show Find

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kirk Stovall

Gun Show Find

Post by Kirk Stovall »

I found a nice original 1873 Trapdoor Carbine MFG in 1874 at a show recently. The guy didn't know what he had. I was going to resell it, but MLV talked me out of doing that...

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Woody

Re: Gun Show Find

Post by Woody »

Nice carbine. I do think it's a little overkill on the ground squirrel though.

Woody

(I have shot them with my 45-90. Some can be tough little fellows.)

Tell MLV that I found my LP08 last week with snail drum!
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Kirk, very nice original carbine. Go over to jouster2.com under the trapdoor section and request a srs check on the serial number to see if there is any history on it. Post some pictures and Dick Hosmer will critque it as all being correct.

Jim O
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What rear sight is that on the Carbine? I see it also has a different trigger than the Cadet . Nice gun, whats the bore like ?
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

mdeland wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:45 pm What rear sight is that on the Carbine? I see it also has a different trigger than the Cadet . Nice gun, whats the bore like ?
That is the correct sight for the easily carbine and the bore is bright, shoots great.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Never doubted that all is original , I'm wanting to learn about trapdoor models and was wondering if that is the "Bull" sight mentioned on the trapdoor thread?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Great find Kirk :!:
You should buy some lotto tickets with your luck. :lol:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

alfajim wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:08 am Kirk, very nice original carbine. Go over to jouster2.com under the trapdoor section and request a srs check on the serial number to see if there is any history on it. Post some pictures and Dick Hosmer will critque it as all being correct.

Jim O
Got on and registered, but still haven’t been made yet...
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

You're lucky. I've stopped going to gun shows in Florida. 40 tables of semi auto pistols, three tables of ED drugs.
2 tables of t shirts. and way in the back, one antique gun priced at 400% over the true value.

$9 to get in, and not worth the price....
Ken
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

mdeland wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:27 pm Never doubted that all is original , I'm wanting to learn about trapdoor models and was wondering if that is the "Bull" sight mentioned on the trapdoor thread?
Mike no it's not, the Bull is a modified 1879 buckhorn type four sight. The sight blade pivot pin has been replaced with what looks like a windage adjustment screw from the Buffington sight. Tom would have better info on that. :roll:
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

alfajim wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:08 am Kirk, very nice original carbine. Go over to jouster2.com under the trapdoor section and request a srs check on the serial number to see if there is any history on it. Post some pictures and Dick Hosmer will critque it as all being correct.

Jim O
I got accepted there and posted some pictures, now I will wait and see what happens,

Thanks, Kirk
MLV

Post by MLV »

Hey Woody, good on ya for getting that LP08. Did it come with the drum loading tool? I’m not even going to say what I had to pay for a drum loading tool!
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Woody

Post by Woody »

LP08.JPG
Mike, The drum and loading tool is one of the modern repros I had backordered for a while. It came the week before I finally found the LP08. Karma.

I had also just loaded 1K rounds of 9 mm two weeks before the acquisition.

I bought a lottery ticket and won $6.00 Wednesday. I've reinvested that. You never know. :wink:

Woody
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
MLV

Post by MLV »

Woody, you are lucky. The repo drum magazine would not even go in my pistol’s magazine well. Nice outfit you got.
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Woody

Post by Woody »

This one fit fine, but my light reloads initially would not function it. After a box of Winchester white box, it seemed to loosen up. Today, I fired two full drums through it. The first fired all 32 rounds without an issue. The second jammed on round 26. I cleared the jam and finished the mag. I think I need to up the pressure just slightly to get reliable functioning. I'm impressed with the accuracy. I was able to hit a man size silhouette at 200 yards with about 50% of the rounds.

Kirk,

I too like those Springfield carbines. I only have one currently, but have had two previously. My current one will reliably hit pigs and turkeys on the silhouette range, but I couldn't hit a ram. The shortened sight radius just would not let zero in on them. I would not feel under-gunned in the hunting feld though.

Woody
Richard A. Wood