need 45/70 bp load 2f for lyman 405 gr (457193)

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mint Hill Mule

need 45/70 bp load 2f for lyman 405 gr (457193)

Post by Mint Hill Mule »

I searched for a load and could not find anything for the 405 gr. Can someone give me a load that works for them with this bullet. Also, how far do I need to seat it, ( top of last lube groove)? I'm using .030 veg wad.

Thanks,
Mule
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Assuming you will use this bullet for hunting, I'd load a couple of test rounds and get the bullet seated just short of the rifling. For the Shiloh chamber, you should have the lube grooves covered, but much/most of the front driving band exposed.

Once you have the seating depth set, figure out how much powder you need to add to get 0.250" compression after a slow pour through a drop tube (assumes GOEX FFg) with a fiber wad (either 0.030" or 0.060"). Load up some of those and see how they shoot. If you aren't satisfied, add powder in stages until you get up to 0.350" compression. My guess is that somewhere in this series, you'll find a good load if you have good bullets. If you don't, seat the bullet 0.010" to 0.020" deeper and repeat the exercise to see if your rifle likes the bullet to jump into the rifling.

For Swiss 1-1/2 Fg, do the same thing, except start with 0.040"-0.050" compression. I've not shot the 400 grain bullets, so don't know how this will work, but I get super accuracy with 540 gr. bullets with this much compression. Others indicate that Swiss has a sweet spot in the 0.250" range with heavier bullets, so you might load a series of test loads testing compression with Swiss.

Others may be able to give you advice on using a taper crimp to improve the consistency of powder burn.

Clarence
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Hey Mint Hill..Just up the I77 from ya a couple hours..I used the 336 grn (actual wt was 339) Lyman HP for deer this year..worked well..Loaded the 405 grn flat nose for bear. Used CCI Bench Rest primers, 70 grains 2 f Goex, .030 veggie wad, then a newsprint wad. I dont have a "taper" crimp die yet..I use a Redding "profile" crimp on hunting loads. I seated so the crimp came to the bottom of the top band. I havent tried seating them out to the lands with the hunting loads like clarence suggested..and accuracy isnt one hole..but to about 150 yards it does pretty good. No chance at a bear so will have to wait till next season to "field test".
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

id pick a load similar to those above.. then vary bullet seating depth untill you get max accuracy with that and set.. I use two sets of dies and use one as the primary loading dies, and the other for testing other settings.. when i gett a better load i put that die in the primary die set.. then if your crimping vary that untill you get max accuracy and then stick with that.. try diff expander or sizer (each item one at a time) and see what gun likes again.).. then one, two three cards, i use 4.. (.120 or 2 .060) and see what gun likes.. then start with slight compression about .05 and work up in 5 grains at a time using scale.. then when you find the most accurate 5 grain load, work up and down 1 grains.. do not leave air space in case.. .. wiegh the volumn measure of several of these loads and record it. use this volumn with each can of new powder and weigh to that for that can again to 1 grain..... dont tell the gun what it wants , let it tell you what it needs for accuracy.. for hunting id use 1 1/2 swiss becouse youl get more shots before cleaning or blow tube is nessesary.. 500 grain bullets shoot cleaner for me.. seat the bullet short enough so it will load with out haveing to force it in for up to 3 or four rounds.. forceing pressure will raise bullet/powder pressure causeing second or third round to be out of first bullet impact group .. eventually gun will get fouled and start throwing bullets all over the place.. clean well before testing new load.. all guns are different and all of this info i use could be worthless in your gun or loading style, etc.. so its off to the range, its a dirty job but someone has to do it.. its probably one of the most enjoyable things that i do anymore.. :lol: .. so many guns, so little time.. for best accuracy weigh cases and bullets and powder.. probably not neccesarty for just starting out.. good luck dave.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

couple more points, i drill flashhole to .080 and clean flashhole with that bit each time i reload.. it gets crud build up and can definitly alter burn rate.. i crimp so i trim cases each time i reload with hand lee trim outift. then very lightly champher on the cases that hve been cut square only.. more cutting, more chamber.. to try to keep champher the same. this is hard to explain.. . its alot of work, or fun, or whatever depending on how you look at it. dave
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I load the 457193 for my 1886 rifle. With 30-1 alloy my bullets cast out at 415 grains. I use about 63 grains of GOEX Cartridge and a .030 Walters wad. Velocity in my 22 inch barrel is 1150 fps.

I must keep my OAL to 2.550 inches. Frankly, you won't be able to load the bullet much further out without exposing the greese grooves. This bullet is probably at optimum use in the lever rifle.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"