Eye Glasses

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LazyM

Eye Glasses

Post by LazyM »

As in all these posts, I am sure this has been covered before, but...

What are the thoughts on shooting glasses? Specifically, I noted while shooting today that my eyes may actually focus better with both eyes open. This leading me to think of the glasses with the non-shooting eye (non-dominant?) blacked out.

Thoughts?
steveu834

Re: Eye Glasses

Post by steveu834 »

For scope or irons?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

When I was shooting a lot of handgun disciplines , I could turn off my left eye and shoot with both eyes open. That was at very close ranges no further than 50 yards. Doing run and gun where speed is a premium, I could run through some targets not even using the sights, so both eyes were open in Pistol shooting.

A few top level pistol shooters put tape over the lens of one eye so they can keep both eyes open.

Skeet, trap, sporting clays and run and gun shotgun sports I have always had both eyes open .

Rifle shooting in competition was something I took up over the age of 50. With iron sight rifles and scoped rifles I cannot, no matter how hard I have tried, keep both eyes open while on a rifle.

At 65, I am losing the ability to change focus, so I had to make a decision on shooting glasses and chose the lens I could see the 500 meter targets with.

Everyone is a little different so try everything at the range and choose what you're comfortable with.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

I just had cataract surgery on both eyes. real ez if you need it.
Now I can see that little round black thing at 100 yards.

K
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I will probably need to have my eyes worked on in a couple of years. Everyone I have talked to says it's marvelous.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Brian, you can get a thing that sticks to your sight staff you can adjust to block your off eye. Shooting scope or iron, you might consider one of the shooting caps from Creedmoor sports , they have a patch that attaches to the bill that also blocks the off side eye.
Sometimes the glare shields on your glass bows will help a bunch.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

if you wear a frame like knobloch, with a corrective lense for the shooting eye, adding a blocker for the non aiming eye can be a great hinderance to reading wind flags, and also looking in the spotting scope.
shooting with both eyes open is easy to learn with a little effort, as long as the master eye is the one behind the sight.
both eyes open rests the aiming eye more than closing the other.
the thing that don suggests might be the ultimate compromise.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

glenn; how did they test your eyes for distance lenses? i would like to try it art
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Art
My eye DR. asked me what distance I wanted to see good at. I told him 500 meters and that was what he wrote the script for. I can see really good at distance, but can't read with them.
carl thomas zmuda

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

I had cataract surgery a few years ago and it has helped seeing the target and front sight.
I try to keep both eyes open.
It’s easier when shooting handguns for me!
Have a good day!