Marijuana

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Clark Badgett

Re: Marijuana

Post by Clark Badgett »

pete wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:20 pm Clark Badgett
I really hate to be the storm crow here, but making something illegal does not make it go away, it makes it worse than it was.
As far as the legalization of pot goes in our area I'm going to have to disagree with you because things are worse for a range of other issues. I hope you didn't make a blanket statement on purpose because that's flawed logic and let's just make everything legal.
[/quote]

Mine is flawed thinking? Name any prohibition that has worked, just one. Since we have tried the making everything illegal over the past 10,000+/- years, to varying degrees of absolute failure, maybe it’s time we give the opposite approach a try. Damn, even the Almighty only gave us 10 rules, that we messed up, so let’s add on millions more.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Isn't the issue truly the level of impairment of an individual using marijuana in any form when engaged in an activity when such impairment is potentially detrimental to others.

There is an old saying, "Your rights end where my nose begins." That may apply in this instance?

Does having a recreational or medical marijuana card or living in a legal marijuana jurisdiction and using marijuana exempt the user from existing law such as driving a motor vehicle, applying for purchase of a firearm (read the 4473), operating heavy machinery or in this case the sporting use of firearms? Does it prohibit the acquisition of a CCW?

The issue is impairment. Would you knowingly allow an alcohol intoxicated person to participate in a rifle match? Or, a marijuana stoned person? Or even someone impaired by prescription drugs, as in reading the label on the pill bottle with such prohibitions. If the law prohibits you from driving you really shouldn't be handling loaded firearms.

I think the solution is simple. If you choose to drink alcohol or use marijuana don't pick up a firearm much less at a competitive event regardless of your individual level of impairment. It is a safety issue, never mind the liability implications.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:42 am Isn't the issue truly the level of impairment of an individual using marijuana in any form when engaged in an activity when such impairment is potentially detrimental to others.

There is an old saying, "Your rights end where my nose begins." That may apply in this instance?

Does having a recreational or medical marijuana card or living in a legal marijuana jurisdiction and using marijuana exempt the user from existing law such as driving a motor vehicle, applying for purchase of a firearm (read the 4473), operating heavy machinery or in this case the sporting use of firearms? Does it prohibit the acquisition of a CCW?

The issue is impairment. Would you knowingly allow an alcohol intoxicated person to participate in a rifle match? Or, a marijuana stoned person? Or even someone impaired by prescription drugs, as in reading the label on the pill bottle with such prohibitions. If the law prohibits you from driving you really shouldn't be handling loaded firearms.

I think the solution is simple. If you choose to drink alcohol or use marijuana don't pick up a firearm much less at a competitive event regardless of your individual level of impairment. It is a safety issue, never mind the liability implications.
!00% correct and to the point.
Another good thing about my home state of Oklahoma...most of the big tribes do not recognize Marijuana as being a legitimate prescription. Possession of marijuana on tribal property will land you in tribal court...and the laws there are different.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
pete

Post by pete »

Clark,
I guess you know more about what the quality of life was in Colorado before and after legalization than I do. Anyway I can see this kind of conversation on a talk forum going nowhere so have fun.
Cort

Post by Cort »

Medical weed I don't understand it. Why not regulate THC like a prescription drug?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

The legalization of marijuana was sold to the general Public here as a needed medical plant that helped folks control pain. In reality, the dispensaries have business names like ' Get high Now' and none have the name " wellness center'.
Cort

Post by Cort »

Glen Ring wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:40 pm The legalization of marijuana was sold to the general public here as a needed medical plant that helped folks control pain. In reality, the dispensaries have business names like ' Get high Now' and none have the name " wellness center'.
The General public could have been dumbed down by public education? There are many pain meds on the market, Whiskey, Vodka, Moonshine just to name a few. I've been numbed by all of these and a few I cant remember.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think you may be right. I would have never guessed that my state would have legalized marijuana. thank goodness the tribes have common sense and it's still illegal with most of them.