Hodgdon has sold Goex

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sackett

Hodgdon has sold Goex

Post by sackett »

Read this on another site and found the story on the Hodgdon site, verifying it. It seems that sometime last year Hodgdon sold Goex. No word on who the buyer is or whether they will produce sporting BP, but at least it is a step in the right direction......

The paragraph about Goex is near the bottom of the page:
https://hodgdon.com/company/about-us/
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Hodgdon has sold Goex

Post by JonnyV »

Good to see Hodgdon out of the picture. Hopefully the Swiss bought it.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I read the paragraph at Hodgdon's website, but not sure I see anything confirming it is going to begin producing BP again from the fact they sold the name or BP part of Hodgdon? Was it the new owners that blew up the plant last year, or was it sold after the plant blew up?
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I hope the Swiss didn't buy it, they don't need a monopoly on the BP market. Competition is a good thing.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Coltsmoke wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:05 pm I hope the Swiss didn't buy it, they don't need a monopoly on the BP market. Competition is a good thing.
Amen to that. Swiss is up about 50% in price in the last 2yr. Keeps going it will soon catch up to primers (1000%).
Glenn
sackett

Post by sackett »

Coltsmoke wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:05 pm I hope the Swiss didn't buy it, they don't need a monopoly on the BP market. Competition is a good thing.
You mean like Hodgdon and the smokeless empire they currently have.....LOL

With that being said, I do agree with you......
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Well, if the Swiss don't get it, then I hope its someone equally as competent as they are at running the operation. Never read one article about the Swiss factory exploding yet... What we don't need is some company getting it and then "streamlining" (firing more employees), "cutting red tape" (ditching safety protocols), and "incentivizing" (overworking whoever's left). Seems like Goex's problems started when they moved to LA, you gotta think that the Chinese firework factory approach to safety might have had something to do with that.

We need to have a stable, safe company making a good product that people will buy. We need them to succeed, here's hoping it happens!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Goex, Gerhart Owen, had a bad explosion in PA also in 1991.

It’s nothing new. Some of you children need an education.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

I know this is a bit vague and I couldn't find the source for it but, I had read somewhere that Estes (the model rocket company) had bought out the Goex facility and name as they were a major percentage of Goex's business.

Has anyone else seen that?

-Ron
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Since the US military is one of the biggest users of BP (artillery igniters, etc) a concern is that they might acquire the plant, and run it as Govt Owned/Contractor Operated, and no longer do civilian sales.

CHRIS
jbrower

Post by jbrower »

I don't know if anyone has ever lost money selling stuff to the US Government, especially for military applications, so I sort of doubt that Uncle Sam himself would run the operation.
MC One Shot

Post by MC One Shot »

I would have thought that some group such as BAE Systems would have possibly secured GOEX on behalf of the DoD to ensure a supply of powder.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Who is actually making the rounds for the military? They must have a massive reserve supply?
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

China.
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I would be amazed if china had anything to do with supplying ammo for all military. I know that when I was active (late 80's) every crate of ammo was stamped Lake City. There may be laws prohibiting foreign supply of essential military supplies as well..