MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tader

MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Post by Tader »

Greetings,

My first post as I'm new to the Shilo Forum.
I'm lined up at Shilo for a 45 70 Long Range Express and getting ready to order an MVA "A" telescope for it.
I am looking for advice from the PROs on scope length for a 34" barrel. My goal here is to start building loads for groups at 100 and 300 yards, then work my way up to 600 and possibly 800 to 1000 yards as time goes on. Eventually I may try BPRC games.
Should I keep the scope behind the muzzle a little to keep discharge off the lens? Say 30 or less?
Any ideas? And any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all
Dennis Armistead

Re: MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Welcome to the forum. The "A" scope only comes in the 23" length which is the length you want for competing.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Dennis is correct, it’s the best scope for shooting competition.

KW
I have used that model 6 times to garner them round gold things at Raton, and a few at Phoenix.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

You will want the 7.2" spacing to make it work the best (each small tic will be 1/2 moa).

Also, a 34" barrel is pretty long for any sort of off-hand work (chickens in BPCR or position in BPTR). I shot a 32" when I was a younger person, but only a couple of years before having it trimmed back.
Glenn
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I would cut that barrel back to 32in for target, 30in for silly-wet. Lot easier to keep fouling under control and easier to shoot off hand.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
MC One Shot

Post by MC One Shot »

SSShooter wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm You will want the 7.2" spacing to make it work the best (each small tic will be 1/2 moa).

Also, a 34" barrel is pretty long for any sort of off-hand work (chickens in BPCR or position in BPTR). I shot a 32" when I was a younger person, but only a couple of years before having it trimmed back.
MVA also recommends a 10 3/4" inch spacing as well....
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

MC One Shot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:08 pm
SSShooter wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm You will want the 7.2" spacing to make it work the best (each small tic will be 1/2 moa).

MVA also recommends a 10 3/4" inch spacing as well....
Yes, except you then have to try to keep track of each small mark on the elevation being 1/3 moa rather than 1/2moa. I find it much easier to keep track of 1/2 moa than 1/3 of an moa. YMMV.
Glenn
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

To shoot LR with a scope I use a 30" barrel. My 34" barrel is only good for iron sights when I shoot LR.
The scope blocks get very tall in order to shoot LR on a 34" barrel.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I think it may be what ever you get used to Glenn. I started out with the 10.75 spacing and don't think anything about it.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Coltsmoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:21 pm I think it may be what ever you get used to Glenn. I started out with the 10.75 spacing and don't think anything about it.
Yes. Think you are likely correct.
However, with the shorter spacing you get more elevation available to you. If your rear mount has 250 small grads that would be 125moa while with the longer spacing that would be 83moa.
Glenn
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

I'm also interested in MVA's 23" scopes and having read many previous posts and MVA's website, here I think MVA actually recommends 10.34 inches ...not 10.75 or 10 3/4 inches.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I guess I'm in the minority. I use the MVA 28 inch scope on my rifles. Mounted with a 17 inch spacing, means that a MOA equals .005 inch movement of the scope. All MVA and DZ scope mounts have scales that have .001 inch graduations with a longer graduation mark at each .005 inch. Moving one MOA, 1/2 MOA, or even less is easy and repeatable. The standard mounts will easily get you to any distance for Silhouette or Mid-Range. In the event you want to shoot to the 1000 yard line, then MVA has long range mounts, or riser blocks to get you there. Since 99.9 percent of my shooting is only out to the 600 yard line I have not found a need for a shorter scope mount spacing or scope.

The short time that I played with a 23 inch Fecker on my .40-65 WCF, High Wall, I found the .002 inch per MOA too coarse for satisfactory work.

It's your money, spend it wisely.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Talk to Cheryl at MVA. She has a lot of experience and she recommends the #2 mount for ease of adjustment. I went with the Silhouette mounts to look more traditional and will suffer the consequences. I am going with the 10.3" spacing since if it is an existing rifle the front base for 7.2" is right on the Shiloh stamp.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

bohemianway wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:51 am Talk to Cheryl at MVA. She has a lot of experience and she recommends the #2 mount for ease of adjustment. I went with the Silhouette mounts to look more traditional and will suffer the consequences. I am going with the 10.3" spacing since if it is an existing rifle the front base for 7.2" is right on the Shiloh stamp.
I'm curious as to why you will "suffer the consequences" with the silhouette mounts.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use the 10.3 spacing, 3 tick marks per MOA. Someone will probably tell me how that won’t work that is :shock:

I use both the Creedmoor mounts and Winchester #2, with equal success.

6 of them scope National titles thingys from midrange to Creedmoor, tell me it works just fine.

A PP World record group, probably just an accident. Two of them Pedersoli Plaques probably makes me to tend to think it wasn’t though.

MVA 23 inch scopes on all, but my slug gun it has a 30 inch scope.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter