Smithmoor 22 Finale

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor 22 Finale

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends and shooters, 4/11/2022

The season finale to our 8th Winter Series Season was held this past Saturday at Cody’s Shooting Shed at East Smithmoor Range. We had a full house plus! There was great good, camaraderie, friendship, and stiff competition. It was a fantastic way to end our 8th Winter Series.

It was a fairly typical Wyoming spring day in that it was breezy. Compared to the previous several days it was quite calm, however. We had a rough week with 60 mph winds for most of it and I was very pleased we were blessed with a tolerable day for the match. Temperatures got into the high 60’s, but we kept the fire burning all day and it felt good to warm up to it, especially in the morning. The breeze was stiff with highs of 20-25 mph and it was apparently tough to shoot well in as the scores show. Lots of vertical frustration was the common complaint and I am not really sure why. It’s always a challenge!

I thought lunch was super. Coralee, Momma Lorraine and Dad, Bev Reed, and Grace all pitched in for a top notch meal. Pulled pork sandwiches, Dad’s cowboy beans (my favorite!) salads and rhubarb crisp were all served. Gosh was it good! We also had a bunch of donuts for the morning snack and everyone must have been hungry as we went through more than 5 dozen donuts! A giant thank you to everyone that helps with the food as that really adds to the match.

We had about 34 shooters sign up for the 30 entry match, but as the day grew closer 3 were not able to make it at the last minute. That left us with 31, so Coralee and I thought we would tag team one entry. She shot the turkeys and rams, and I shot the chickens, pigs, and gongs. We ended up really enjoying it as it allowed us to shoot and have fun, but still left plenty of time to do our duties and run the match well. We did not consider our scores when figuring out the winners as that didn’t seem quite fair. Corlaee and I both thoroughly enjoyed our day!

Our side match this season, the KYL gongs, was fun and challenging. We had some nice prizes for it this match and it was fun watching the shooters try hard to win them. Keith Kelly was 2nd with a 60 in the AAA/AA/A class, earning an antique silver dollar, while Jacob Wolf was 1st with a 90 taking home a Smithmoor T-shirt. Mark Pachares shot a solid 85 to be 2nd in GM/M class with Cole Sauer shooting a 90 to be 1st. Craig Wolf shot a super 95 out of 100, earning a t-shirt, a silver dollar, and a Smithmoor glass as the Champion KYL shooter! Great shooting everyone!

Of all the things about shooting that bring me joy, I think seeing those shooters that work hard, improve, and have success is right there at the top of my list. Boy did I have a lot to smile about on Saturday! Katy Stephenson was Champion AA/A with a 24, after winning a shoot off on turkeys against Roger Decker. Super Shooting Katy! Young Javyn Cruz was Champion AAA with a 30. This really pleases me. Javyn was so close to clean prone, but dropped a pig and was quite aggravated. Winning the AAA champion helped ease his frustration, though. Lol We had another shootoff for Champion Master class, too. I love shootoffs! Cecil Sauer and Craig Wolf both had 32’s and shot off on chickens. Both of them are fine offhand shots and often post some great chicken scores, but something had them both off and they struggled to connect with a chicken. They both went 0 for 5 on the first round and then we went to sudden death. After a few back and forths, Cecil prevailed. Good job fellas! Grand master class saw reining 22 BPCRA National Champion Cole Sauer knock down a solid 33 to be Champion Grand Master Class.

Drum roll please………………………………………… I am so pleased to award the Match Winner/Overall Champion to a man that has been a most steadfast supporter of both my family and Smithmoor Range from the very beginning of both. He takes great pride in shooting rifles and equipment that he has much less money invested in than most of us, and does his own gunsmithing to make them perform. He shoots off tall homemade sticks while sitting on a bucket with no lid. That’s how he milks his cow and how he’s most comfortable. His shooting career has had multiple ups and downs, success and frustrations over the last 8 years, but he has stuck with it and steadily improved. His shooting on Saturday was stellar! Coralee’s Dad, Tom Reed was absolutely elated to shoot a 34 with 5 chickens to be the Overall Champion! Congratulations Tom! You earned it my friend, and we are all so proud of you!

We ordered some very nice jackets from Schaefer Outfitter in Texas and had them embroidered by our friends at Allwayz Manufacturing in Pine Bluffs (https://allwayzmfg.com/). The match winner and 1st in each class received one for a trophy. I thought they were pretty cool and hope the shooters did too. 2nd place received one of the very cool line boxes made by Brad Swenson and donated by Dick Hennebry, and 3rd place and down took home a variety of silver dollars, glasses, and other Smithmoor stuff. I thought we had some nice prizes.

As always, Smithmoor Range wouldn’t be much without all of the support of our shooters and sponsors. Thank you to everyone that shoots and supports our matches, but a special giant thank you to our sponsors that stepped up this year. Dick Hennebry, SPG Sales, Wyoming Sight Drifter, Treebone Carving, The Single Shot Exchange, Roger and Eileen Decker, and Roger Buechler all went above and beyond. Your friendship and support means more to us than you could ever know.

We will hand the baton off to Dick Hennebry to run the 22 matches at Cheyenne Rifle Club for the summer. Check out our webpage www.smithmoorrange.com or contact Dick Hennerby for that schedule. Grizz will also be running some summer matches at Colorado Rifle Club. That schedule can be found at www.crci.org, or contact us and we will get that too you. Hope to see you all this summer, and then we will pick it back up here at Smithmoor in November to begin our 9th Winter Series!

Take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Gong Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Steve Anderson 30 3 10 5 6 24
Jack Odor 53 5 10 7 8 30 3rd
Mark Pachares 85 4 10 7 9 30 2nd Gongs
Michael Rix 45 4 10 8 9 31 2nd GM
Cole Sauer 90 5 10 9 9 33 1st Gongs 1st GM
Cody/Coralee 58 7 9 10 9 35
Grizz 35 0 8 8 8 24

Master
Sir Billy Acklin 16 1 10 8 10 29
Greg Bybee 20 2 10 10 9 31 3rd Master
Dick Farmer 23 2 10 7 10 29
JD Farmer 35 0 10 10 9 29
Dick Hennebry 40 2 9 10 9 30
Michael Jackson 58 2 10 9 10 31 5th Master
Joe Kapler 36 2 10 8 8 28
Tom Reed 55 5 10 9 10 34 Match Winner!!
Cecil Sauer 70 4 10 8 10 32 1st Master
Gary Smith 50 5 10 9 6 30
Craig Wolf 95 4 10 10 8 32 2nd Master and Gong MW
Dan Womer 45 2 10 9 10 31 4th Master

AAA
Emily Anderson 45 1 10 8 7 26
Javyn Cruz 33 1 9 10 10 30 1st AAA
Ed Himelhoch 41 2 10 6 9 27 3rd AAA
Keith Kelly 60 2 10 8 8 28 2nd AAA and 2nd Gong
Joshua Tangeman 50 2 9 3 7 21
Jacob Wolf 90 0 10 8 9 27 1st gong

AA/A
Roger Decker 8 1 8 8 7 24 2nd AA
John Pross 44 1 7 7 7 22
Kristen Womer 53 1 8 6 8 23 3rd AA
Katy Stephenson 11 2 9 7 6 24 1st AA
Tighe Moritz (I) 0 0 8 3 6 17
Grizz61

Re: Smithmoor 22 Finale

Post by Grizz61 »

Great Match, Great Fun, and even better food.

Please keep up the good work.

Hope to see you this spring and summer.