2022 Montana State Championship Match - Butte, MT

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

2022 Montana State Championship Match - Butte, MT

Post by Del »

The 2022 Montana State BPCR Silhouette Championship is in the books. We shot a last minute 22BPCR match on Wednesday, two days of BPCRS Scope Thursday and Friday, and two days of BPCR Iron Sights on Saturday and Sunday.

Wednesday Butch Ulsher, match director said if we wanted to shoot a 22BPCR match he had the targets and berms. We met at 6:00 pm to get the match ready, weedeated the berms, set up targets and painted. Started shooting about 7:00 pm. We had eight shooters, two single shot scope, three single shot iron sight, and three bolt-action small-bore shooters with high power scopes. The range looks east so there were really dark shadows behind the silhouettes that looked darker than the silhouettes. One of the bolt action shooters with a high-power scope put about 5 shots on target except that it was into berm right on top the shadow. When he figured out what to shoot, he hit the swinger dead center...

This spring in Montana has been slow warming and as of late we have had a lot of rain. As a result, the weeds and grass on the Butte Range is pretty tall and the result was that the turkey line in particular had considerable weeds in the way that when mixed with the shadow problem made shooting especially with iron sights pretty difficult. Jeff Krumm from Nevada took 1st place in the single shot iron match with a 30, I took first place in the single shot iron sight match with a 31, and Rick Angove won the Small-Bore match with a 33.

22BPCR Match Scores: http://www.mtbpcr.com/2022MTState22BPCR.html

Thursday started the Scope BPCRS match with six master, ten AAA, and three AA shooters attending. Shooters driving in from eastern, southwest, and northwest Montana, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and Canada. The day started out nice with little wind and warming nicely. By the time we started shooting at about 10:00, the wind was up gusting to at least 20 mph. Throughout the next two days, the wind was gusting and changing directions from the south, then tailwind from the west, then from the north, and switching back and forth. The target setters worked hard for their money having to put clips on most targets due to the wind. The wind mixed with heavy clouds drifting over making the targets super dark to super light even with scopes. It made for pretty difficult shooting conditions reflected in the fact that out of 19 shooters mostly AAA and masters that only 6 shooters ran 10 pigs on Thursday and only three on Friday. Most of the scores were relatively low. Bill Huxtable shot 6 chickens and his wife, Penny along with Ted Tompkins both shot 5 chickens on Thursday. Bill also shot 4 chickens on Friday which helped to put him on top for the Overall Match win shooting a two-day aggregate score of 55 and winning the scope donated by J.C. Gier from Montana Vintage Arms. Jen Oliva was close behind shooting second overall, getting back in game with her offset scope shooting right-handed but with her left eye, shooting an aggregate score of 53. Mike Venturino was back in form shooting an aggregate score of 52 with only 1 chicken for the two days. His lay-down game was doing great! I shot first Master with a 50, Dan Smrdel shot first AAA with a 46, and Jeff Krumm out of Nevada shot 1st AA with a 46.

Saturday and Sunday had a few shooters dropping off and a few adding on for a total of eighteen shooters, five masters, eight AAA, three AA, one A, and one B shooter. The wind was actually pretty mild for the Butte range but it was still difficult shooting with the wind swinging wildly from north to south and with a miserable tailwind that swung back and forth three to four minutes. There was something else going on that was causing unexplained drops of one to two minutes or more. As an example, on Sunday, I was shooting pigs and shot five shots on the swinger, then shot the first three pigs shooting about two-minute group, then shooting one low through the window. Thought that was a bad shot and proceeded to shoot a second one right on top the last one. Tickled up the sight and hit the sixth pig low in the belly. Came up some more and hit the next two, then proceeded to shoot one over the hump. Trusted this shot, came back down to where I started, and shot through the window... Total of six pigs. Amber Spratling told me once that pigs aren't hero animals as everybody shoots all their pigs but if you miss one, you're a loser!! Well, I was a loser four times over on that day and two times over on the previous day!

Still, even being a loser pig shooter, I did manage to shoot 2nd overall behind Dave Heninger out of Idaho Falls who shot an aggregate score with a 52 overall. He also shot well on each animal and won not only all the animal pots as well as winning the sight award from donated by J.C. Gier from Montana Vintage Arms. I shot second overall with a 46 and my shooting partner got 3rd overall shooting a 45. Ted Tompkins shot first Master with a 40 and eight pigs for the two days, Randy Burke out of Oregon and just getting back in the shooting game after a few years pause was first AAA shooting a 43, Tim Galligan out of Nevada shot first AA with a 32.

Other than the wind, the range was in great shape with a lot of work being done on the targets. Lots of visiting with old friends, good competition, and MVA still able to support the match with a scope and sights. Good time!

Scope and Iron Match Scores: http://www.mtbpcr.com/2022MTStateMatch.html
Fortune Favors the Bold...