PP wad column question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bulseyetom

PP wad column question

Post by Bulseyetom »

I have an original Ballard Pacific in 40-85 that I am trying to get shooting. I tried several gg bullets and two pp bullets that I had on hand for my 40-70 Hepburn and have decided that the bullet I will concentrate on is the BACO .395 330 grain bullet. When I patch with BACO paper it is a nice fit in the fired case. I tried a few rounds with this bullet today and got best results with Swiss 1.5 lightly compressed with a 0.060 ldpe wad followed by a 0.060 Walters wad and then also a few with a third 0.060 ldpe wad on top of the Walters wad. The three wad combo shot much better. My question is am I placing the wads in the correct order or should I be using a vegetable wad first and last with the lpde wad in the middle? I seem to have read about a three wad combo but I think it was on the defunct BPCR forums. The paper patched bullet with 3 wads shot far better than the gg bullets as well although I only tried a few to get a feel for what the rifle liked and certainly not enough to fine tune a load. I prefer to use a pp bullet for historical correctness and hunting and informal target practice use only. The bore diameter is 0.402 and has a 20 inch twist. Thanks for any help. Tom
opencountry

Re: PP wad column question

Post by opencountry »

Congrats. Sounds like you've found a nice load. And, regarding the 'order' of your wads, go with what it likes. FWIW, I've always used a .030" vegi-fiber wad over the powder; Why?...because someone recommended it to me. I also shoot pp.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.