Lab radar chrograph

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SharpsBig50

Lab radar chrograph

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Anyone have one of these? Does it work with the big clouds of BP smoke and does it track the big caliber bullets further than 100 yards?
MikeT

Re: Lab radar chrograph

Post by MikeT »

I normally do not chronograph at 100 yards or more, but their website states up to 100 yards.
The setup is easy but the program has to be correct to get consistent readings every shot.
My 45-70 seems to work the best with the labradar. My 40-50SBN is a little more fussy about triggering the radar every shot.
I do not use the statistical part of the program because I keep a written record with my reloading data form.
BP smoke or PP bullets do not seem to bother it.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Yes and yes.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

SharpsBig50 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:44 pm Anyone have one of these? Does it work with the big clouds of BP smoke and does it track the big caliber bullets further than 100 yards?
HI

I have one since 3 years: it works just great with BP, 45 cal 530 gr bullets, paper and LPDE.

Gerald
dougf

Post by dougf »

Mine works great - but I found that I needed to set it for pistol to pick up the shots consistently. Probably because velocities are closer to hand gun than high power rifle.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I've had one for a couple years. For BP shooting, set it to pistol in the velocity selector and it will work great. I've gotten data out to 200 yards pretty consistently with it. Some of my high power precision buddies have a hack that supposedly can get data out to 400 yards but I never bothered to learn what it was. Metal targets will mess with the radar so best use in on paper targets. There is an external trigger for it that my friend Tony N told me about. It's from an outfit called JKL Precision. They're $35....Link here:

https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/

According to Tony, you can use a velcro strap to mount the trigger on your barrel. This should ensure accurate firing of the chronograph each time without necessarily needing to have the muzzle right next to the unit. The other thing I did was get a better tripod off eBay instead of the little orange one. Just take the head off the little one and put it on the bigger tripod and you're set.
rebsr52339

Post by rebsr52339 »

I have had mine for 2 years and set to pistol, for the lower velocities,(1000 to 1400) it is great. I set it up most for 100 yds. No complaints.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

JohnnyV, Can you post more info on the "hack to get velocity out to 400 yards"?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Pilgrim wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:32 am JohnnyV, Can you post more info on the "hack to get velocity out to 400 yards"?
I might see one of the guys this weekend, I'll ask.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

No luck on this...Not sure if it's an urban legend, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way...maybe contact LabRadar?
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've shot .40-70, .45-90 and a .45 cal muzzleloader past one with no problems and good results. It wasn't mine but the bloke who had it set up at the range let me use it. If I recall, the .45 muzzleloader was running around 1380 with 95 gr of 1.5 Swiss and a 530 Creedmoor bullet.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia