Smithmoor Cup Report

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Cup Report

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends, 9/4/2022
Our annual competition vying for possession of the coveted Smithmoor Cup was held August 11th and 12th at the Smithmoor Range in Carpenter Wyoming. By all accounts, it was deemed a success and I think it may have been our best two day BPCR silhouette match ever. It was almost a full house with 29 out of the 30 spots being filled with shooters that were both local and many that had travelled some distance. We were truly honored by the presence of such a great bunch of folks.

There is so much to talk about; it is hard to get it all into the match report without making it a mile long! I’ll touch on the big issues, but you really had to have been there to understand what all went on. Please see the pictures of the scoreboard for all the scores, both daily and aggregate. We had a large variety of nice prices for the winners. Silver dollars, glasses, DGL Lube, SPG cheek rests, Brooks mould certificates, mould mallets and clipboards made by Dan Womer, Wyoming Sight Drifters, a beautiful Brad Swenson scope box, and a variety of gifts from Shiloh Rifle Company were all enthusiastically received. The champions from each class received an embroidered Smithmoor jacket from Schaeffer Outfitters, while the overall winner took home a new scope from MVA, as well as possession of the Smithmoor Cup.

Conditions for the match were the usual difficult we often experience at Smithmoor. I have not shot extensively across the country, but I would be willing to bet the mirage here is as bad as or worse than anywhere else. It is just something about heat transfer between the land and the air and why Carpenter Wyoming is more prone to it than other places, I don’t know. It will make seeing hits or misses very tough, as well changes in the mirage can require larger windage adjustments than one would think. One thing I am sure of, however, is that the mirage we experience is just the same as the hunters, frontiersman, and settlers all experienced years ago. The temperatures got fairly warm with highs in the upper 90’s and the breeze stayed fairly calm for Carpenter. In general, the weather was quite cooperative, and we all appreciated that!

Sir Billy Acklin was our A class champion this year. This was Bill’s first large match and I thought he did really well! Yahoooo Billy! Ed Himelhoch was our AA Champion with a 51. Ed shot so well, he will be moving into AAA for his next match. Great Shooting Ed! Our largest and most competitive class, AAA, was won by veteran rifleman Mark Pachares with a 53. Good Job Mark! Master Class saw Michael Jackson win with a 52. Michael had been in a bit of a slump lately and it was nice to see him beat it. Good Shooting Michael! Last and best is Bryan Youngberg taking home the Smithmoor Cup for 2022! Bryan shot a super aggregate score of 56 in some very challenging conditions. He had Kenny Wasserburger at his side making wind calls which no doubt contributed to his good score. Kenny received a Wyoming Sight Drifter and a Shiloh Mug for his efforts. They made a great team! Congratulations to Bryan!

We ran our 5th station again this year, and used the KYL Gongs again.
They are really a challenge with three gongs set up at 200 yards. The small one is 4”, medium is 8”, and the large one is 12”. They are 10 points, 5 points, and 3 points, respectively. Only 10 shots are allowed at them. In combined A/AA class Sir Billy was the winner with a 60, while AAA/Master class saw Bryan Youngberg smack a very good 95 to be high. They both received a Smithmoor Jacket, a SPG cheekrest, and DGL lube sticks for their great shooting.

Also, since Shiloh sent us a bunch of very nice gifts to give away, we noted who all was shooting a Shiloh Rifle on the scoreboard and awarded Ed Himelhoch a really cool Shiloh Rifle Company shirt for being high Shiloh Shooter in A/AA class. Of course, Bryan Youngberg kicked all of our butts with a Shiloh Rifle as well…..

Mom and Dad did a super job on the food again this year. We ate extremely well. Probably the most exciting news of the match was the addition of the soft serve ice cream machine! It was a big hit, to say the least. Everyone enjoyed ice cream cones at their convenience. I had to laugh at how many cones we went through. It was a bunch!

Our list of sponsors and supporters of Smithmoor Range is extensive, and we are all quite humbled by all of the support and encouragement we receive. Below is a list of folks that contributed heavily to the range and this match. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Brad Swenson
Brooks' Knives & Moulds
Cat Shooting Sticks
DGL Lube
Graf & Sons, Inc
JL Rodebuagh Custom Knives
Log Cabin Shop
Midway USA
MVA
OGRE Manufacturing LLC
Pine Bluffs Auto Parts
Pine Bluffs Feed & Grain
Pine Bluffs Sinclair
Redding Reloading Equipment
Rocky Mountain Cartridge
Schuetzen Powder Energetics, Inc
Shiloh Sharps
SPG Sales
The Single Shot Exchange
Treebone Carving
Wolfe Publishing
Wyoming Sight Drifter

Doc Bement
Roger Buechler
Dick Hennebry
Michael Jackson
Mark Pachares
Quality Planning Services
Brad Rice
Michael Rix
Grizz Stephenson
Dan Womer
Bryan Youngberg

All our many shooters and supporters!

Look for a writeup for the Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR match to come out shortly. I apologize for these not coming out early, but my workload has been exhaustive lately. Thank you again to everyone that shoots and supports our matches and range! I’m already looking forward to next year!
Take care my friends, Cody Smith
Dan O

Re: Smithmoor Cup Report

Post by Dan O »

Great write up Cody!!!! Congratulations to all the winners.
And last but not least a huge thank you to all the contributors.

Dan
Del

Re: Smithmoor Cup Report

Post by Del »

Holy Crap!!! A soft ice cream machine! McDonald's doesn't even have theirs's working most days! Great writeup and match. Maybe next year. Your matches are becoming some of the best attended in the nation and it's due to you and your family's commitment on making it the best it can be. Even soft ice cream...

Great job both on the match and the writeup!!!
Fortune Favors the Bold...