Checkering

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Checkering

Post by pacecars »

I have now had two checkered Sharps rifles and this one changed my mind. The first one I tried was a C Sharps Arms .45-70 and it just never felt right to me. It was one of Schoffstall‘s guns and looked great but I couldn’t get comfortable with the checkering

When I was able to buy Bill Bagwell’s .40-70 I knew as soon as I picked it up it just felt “right”

I don’t know if it makes a difference having a pistol grip or not. I do know that the checkering on the Shiloh looks and feels better to me at least.
Real gun powder is black.
pacecars

Re: Checkering

Post by pacecars »

I know now that I won’t stray again. I am not brand loyal with vehicles or other types of guns but I am definitively in the Shiloh camp when it comes to Sharps rifles. I better go now before I talk myself into another Shiloh
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yup - - - there are only three kinds of Sharps rifles: originals, Shiloh Sharps, and all the other wannabees.

George
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

My 1874 Freund Sharps was restored by the late Bill Van Horne, and his wife Emma checkered the new stocks. Extremely fine checkering at around 22-24 lpi I'd guess. It feels really good in my hands as the fine checkering gives a grip, but doesn't feel abrasive or rough.

pacecars

Post by pacecars »

That looks really sharp (pardon the pun)
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

pacecars wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:23 pm That looks really sharp (pardon the pun)
It's extremely fine at around 28 lpi checkering. The majority of my old rifles are around 22-24 lpi, which I used to think was pretty fine checkering.
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

That's beautiful checkering, marlinman.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787