No Caliber stamp

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Yellowhouse

No Caliber stamp

Post by Yellowhouse »

My Bryan ca 1991 has Caliber 40 2 1/4 yet my 44/77 of 2012 is unmarked except 2 1/4....expecting a 44 on the the latter. Doesn't particularily bother me but found it odd that it lacks that stamp.
Sam
powderburner

Re: No Caliber stamp

Post by powderburner »

My business rifle is marked that way.
On top is the chamber length. But under the forend is the cal designation. On my rifle it’s stamped 44 77.
On my bull barrel the cal is on top and the chamber is upside down on the right side. It is a rebarrel
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Interesting. Probably made on a Monday or Ftiday! I have an original Meacham Sharps in 45-70 that is Stamped "CALIBER" but nothing more. Guess it happened in the old days too.

George
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

George Babits wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:20 am Interesting. Probably made on a Monday or Ftiday! I have an original Meacham Sharps in 45-70 that is Stamped "CALIBER" but nothing more. Guess it happened in the old days too.

George
It happened often on numerous brands of single shots in the old days. I think back then the factory figured if you bought a gun in a certain cartridge you didn't need to be reminded what it was with a stamp. And they figured if you sold it to some buddy you'd tell them what it was chambered for too.
My old Sharps has no cartridge marking, and over half of my Ballard rifles have no cartridge marked on their barrels either.
Woody

Post by Woody »

You never know what someone was thinking or doing to miss something so simple. I shipped out a line box with nine holes drilled instead of the normal ten. Woops! At least the customer was able to mark and drill the missed hole himself and was not too upset.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Kirk stamps them the same way that originals were. I'm pretty sure I read something like that here once. My bull barrel .45-2-7/8" says Cal 45 on the top, but 2-7/8 on the side and I think upside down. I like it. I remember what cartridge it takes without having to read it :-).

Chris.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Sounds to me like it got missed, because it should be there,,,
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My most recent 16# Shiloh is marked:

CALIBER 45

2 7/8

…on the top of the barrel between the receiver and the rear dovetail cutout. Every Shiloh I’ve owned (4) have been clearly marked in their caliber and chamber length. That’s nice.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.