Axtell 1877 Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

craigos

Axtell 1877 Rifle

Post by craigos »

Recently acquired a 1877 Axtell which came with the #9 vernier and $16 front (with windage). The rifle is brand new, its gorgeous. However the rear vernier doesnt seem notched. Any ideas so it can be lowered (and it stops short of hitting the stock and is parallel to it). In 45-70.

Any ideas why its not notched? Did it come this way? Numbers are hard to read on it anyways was going to get a MVA but was curious.
TGC

Re: Axtell 1877 Rifle

Post by TGC »

Pictures are required before answers are provided. Just kidding, Pictures please. Thanks
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Notched? Do you mean "detents" to hold the staff vertical when elevated from the laid down position?
A number of tang sights don't have a way to keep staffs from hitting the comb on a stock as makers have no idea where the comb is on each rifle. But normally they all have detents and springs to latch them at perfect vertical.
This sounds like one of the inexpensive graduated peeps, or maybe the detent spring is broken? Have you removed the sight from the tang to inspect it underneath?
craigos

Post by craigos »

oh it has the detent the bottom of the basem however the bottom of the post has no notch, smooth as a babys bottom . I seen another post where a guy was selling new Axtells sights and he advertised them as "new with no notched yet machined". Will get some pics as it sure is pretty
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I have a C. Sharps rifle with a sight a lot like that. I made a detent with a little bit of careful file work.

Chris.
craigos

Post by craigos »

[quote=gunlaker post_id=339055 time=1667675979 user_id=34612]
I have a C. Sharps rifle with a sight a lot like that. I made a detent with a little bit of careful file work.

Chris.
[/quote]

Do you happen to have a pic? I contacted MVA and they said they dont build sights compat with axtell, if find that hard to believe given the pms on this sight and the fact i see a few for sale with mva sights.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Tony Maddox bought the Axtell Sight Co. from Carmen and is making all those sights still under "The Original Sight Co." name. If you Google this name you can contact Tony and get whatever you need for Axtell sights.
He's in Tulsa this weekend, so best to wait until next week to call him.
I just got a cased Axtell sight set, but someone put a non Axtell Rem. base in the kit. I'm going to call Tony next week and order the correct base(s) for it, so I can use the set on my Sharps, Rolling Blocks, or my Ballards.

gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

craigos wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:28 pm
gunlaker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:19 pm I have a C. Sharps rifle with a sight a lot like that. I made a detent with a little bit of careful file work.

Chris.
Do you happen to have a pic? I contacted MVA and they said they dont build sights compat with axtell, if find that hard to believe given the pms on this sight and the fact i see a few for sale with mva sights.
I don't, but I seem to remember hearing that at one time C. Sharps bought a company that made sights and this is what comes with their rifles. I could be wrong about that though. The C. Sharps sights aren't quite as nice as the MVA ones. I woulds keep on the path of finding an MVA sight if you can.

Chris.
craigos

Post by craigos »

So i keep learning :) I removed the rear sight and there is a spring loaded silver plunger , if i push on it it moves under spring. Anyone know how to remove it? Jim Kelley sent me one of his sights with the axtell bases but got to remove this plunger.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Pull the butt stock, under the top tang you will see a small screw holding a flat spring that is keeping pressure on the plunger. Remove the screw, and the spring and plunger can be removed. It’s the same way the early Sharps Creedmoors were set up.
Tom Klinger
craigos

Post by craigos »

thank you, its much appreciated.