Laboratory Primer Testing

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Laboratory Primer Testing

Post by TexasMac »

Guys,

If you read the excellent article at the following link you’ll note that sorting primers by weight is mentioned. https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... last_waves

I’ve previously seen it suggested in jest here & on some of the other BPCR forums, but after additional research I’ve found that some of the precision high-power match shooters are actually sorting primers. So for grins I sorted 10ea. of the following on a laboratory analytical scale that has a resolution of 0.001gram (1mg or 1 milligram) although not to the precision/resolution mentioned in the article.

CCI 350 LP Mag: 296 – 305mg (difference of 9mg)
CCI 550 SP Mag: 223 – 229mg (difference of 6mg)
Win LR: 341 – 350mg (difference of 09mg)
Fed 215 LR Mag: 362 – 369mg (difference of 7mg)
Fed GM215M LR Mag Match: 363 – 367mg (difference of 4mg)
Fed GM150M LP Match: 305 – 308mg (difference of 3mg). This is the stuff I use.

I know some of you have wondered what the difference is in standard vs. match primers & are the additional prices of match primers worth it? Of course a much larger sampling would be required and a better scale, but even this very limited sampling suggests that the Federal match stuff is more consistent, although the same may not apply to other manufacturers.

I have read that the difference in standard vs. match is the experience of the operators applying the primer solution in the cups. One manufacturer said they rotate operators on the cup and anvil machines but not the primer solution squeegee station when making match primers. Apparently there are little or no weight variances when punching out the cups and anvils, so it’s not operator critical. Applying the primer solution is the critical step which makes sense if you think about it. In any case I’m sticking with match primers. And nope, I’m not planning on sorting primers as standard practice.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
desert deuce

Re: Laboratory Primer Testing

Post by desert deuce »

Interesting TexasMac: Wondering if the manufacturers have a priority or scale of brisance intensity to meet regarding production process that are centered around use with smokeless powders. Especially those (ie Federal, Remington, Winchester), that use a significant amount of their primer production in their own brand of commercial ammunition and do not offer anything but smokeless loadings?

With that in mind I have noticed historically that Federal Pistol Primers (Large and Small, not MAG) give the best results on target with both black and white powders for competitive target use. Disturbing to hear then that Federal has changed more than just the packaging of their primers.

Moreover, how would we as consumers know if one brand, say CCI, one day showed up in Remington retail primer offerings or ammunition?

Oh and lettuce not even mention whether or not the component and ammunition scarcity is real or manufactured. Perish the thought!

We may one day "discover" that miraculously supply will address demand when the manufacturers have no more product long term storage.

Stranger things have happened.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!