BUFFALO HUNT

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

airwinky

BUFFALO HUNT

Post by airwinky »

Big Buff Down...
Success in New Mexico !
Hunting buffalo the traditional way with my MVA sighted Shiloh Long Range Express in .45-110.
I've owned this rifle for nearly 25 years and often imagined hunting buff with it, but the struggle was really, really, real trying to build good ammunition. The regular learning curve, controlling fouling and the like, but a while back I finally came up with a couple good recipes for accurate loads, and started looking around for the right hunt..
I have always wanted to try to take one of these amazing animals with the old rifle... and Saturday I took this incredible bull at about 100 yards after a good stalk.
High adventure chasing the big shaggys on the beautiful Rancho de Chavez with LaMont's Buffalo outfitting !
Dream come true kinda stuff for Wink !
Enjoy the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Castaway

Re: BUFFALO HUNT

Post by Castaway »

Congratulations.
mikedominick

Post by mikedominick »

Great Pictures!
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Nice buffalo! Well done. I believe hunting with a BP rifle that you worked and struggled to find the right load and gain proficiency in shooting pays respect to these amazing and iconic animals.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Airwinky,
That is just fabulous!!! How much meat were you able to harvest from that bull???

A buffalo hunt is one that I dream about but doubt if I will ever be able to do.

I wonder if my 45-70-405 would be enough gun for one of those huge critters???

I am right now starting to get into paper patch bullets so we shall see how this works out.

Super nice photos,I look at them often and wish.................................

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
airwinky

Post by airwinky »

Top Dog wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:42 am Airwinky,
That is just fabulous!!! How much meat were you able to harvest from that bull???

A buffalo hunt is one that I dream about but doubt if I will ever be able to do.

I wonder if my 45-70-405 would be enough gun for one of those huge critters???

I am right now starting to get into paper patch bullets so we shall see how this works out.

Super nice photos,I look at them often and wish.................................

Top Dog
With a proper shot I believe a .45-70 would do just fine.
We took over 800 lbs of meat home with us from this New Mexico bull !