bobw

Re: Shiloh monster sighting

Post by bobw »

Actually Gert is is probably the newest you can find as well as the best..bobw
bobw
marlinman93

Re: Shiloh monster sighting

Post by marlinman93 »

bobw wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm Marlinman.93 what does that gun weigh? Have you checked the twist rate in it? Is it an original barrel with the chamber lengthen out in it? Or a newer barrel? Last year at the SCA show in Colo Sprgs a guy had a 34" bull barrel in 50-140 I am sure some old frontier gunsmith did that as the gun had good provenance and been used in the late 1880's. Another guy had original b gun with heavy rd barrel in 50 140 that had great provenance tracing it to being used in Artic exploration killing walrus, polar bear and some whales with it. He had a real neat display with it that garnered him a best of show award ..bobw
My 1874 Sharps letters as being shipped to Carlos Gove's Denver shop in 1880. The gun has all the Freund improvements, and George Freund's Durango, co. stamp on the receiver. It left Sharps as a .45-70, and the barrel on it now is not the original. The rifle was restored in 1970 by Bill Van Horne in Stout, Ohio, and the gun weighs 16 lbs. The twist rate is a 1:25" twist rate.
Beyond the factory letter, Freund Improvements, and George Freund stamp, I don't know much more. It's was owned by a friend of mine since the 1960's and he's the one who had it restored back then.