Hardness test ( and fouling)

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Hardness test ( and fouling)

Post by semtav »

We had some issues with the hardness of some old bullets I sent Kim W, so I decided to revisit and test my Hard Bullets against a softer alloy in my 42-85.
Because I was running a jag and patch down the bore that I normally use for a .410 dia barrel, it was real loose in the .429 barrel and kinda just fell thru.
Shots 2 and 3 dropped low just like dirt diggers on a target.
Switching to a different method after shot 3 brought the bullets right back to the group.
I alternated bullets. All odd were 16-1 and even were 12.5-1.
As seen on the target, the 12.5-1 bullets shot a much tighter pattern.
This is exactly what I saw 10 years ago when I switched to 12.5-1 from 16-1 and used proper fouling control. My flyers and dirt diggers disappeared in my 45-90.

This was shooting with Patched to Groove bullets and may not apply to patched to bore or GG bullets, but my DDPP 12.5-1 bullets were shooting real tight in the 40-82 last spring before I had to quit playing with it. So I will hopefully try Kenny's DDPP bullet for the 110 with 12.5 -1 sometime.

I know this isn't a real statistical test according to Brent. but it does give one some thought about bullet hardness.

12.5 vs 16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TGC

Re: Hardness test ( and fouling)

Post by TGC »

Semtav, it's good to have you back. I would be interested in more information about your 42 85 loads. Thanks Tim
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks Tim

Starline 45-90 brass sized down to .429
WLR Blue Box Primers
75 Gr Swiss 1.5
1 .030 Veg wad
Kal .424 money bullet 1.465 Long
Staedtler 8 lb paper

Not the finished product by far.
Plus I'm getting some pretty bad paper rings so I may need to stretch the cases.
Paper Ring.jpg
Tried it again today but ran into some problems with the gun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I did manage to do a 5 shot test with my Bull Barrel Shiloh That showed a lot of promise. Had a Sub 1/2 moa vertical going.
I would tell you what happened to the 5th shot but DD might find out and then I'd never hear the end of it. :oops:

Gonna load up 50 and take it to the Long Range Match tomorrow and try it out if anyone else shows up.
Hopefully I won't have too many dirt diggers.
45-110.jpg
semtav

Post by semtav »

picture of how far I cam the bullet in the rifling.

This bullet was one of the soft ones like I gave Kim. It shot horrible.

camming marks.jpg
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

SEMTAV, worry not......you officially have temporary protected status until April 7, 2023.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

If you would move that shindig to January next year you could harass me in person!!
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

semtav wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:23 pm Plus I'm getting some pretty bad paper rings so I may need to stretch the cases.
If the accuracy is good, why bother?
semtav

Post by semtav »

The first load was with .0017 paper. I didn't notice any leading.
The pic of the paper ring was with .002 paper. It leaded up horribly.

Gonna go back and try the thinner paper. If no leading I'll leave alone. If that's where it started I'll stretch the cases.
Best I can measure I need about .02-.025 longer.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Semtav wrote: "If you would move that shindig to January next year you could harass me in person!!"

Ben Avery Range is under the management of Arizona Game and Fish Commission. They do the range scheduling.

You are so important that, if it was up to me, I would move the shootapalooza to January to accommodate your wishes.
However, such is not the case.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Haha!!!
I wondered why the date keeps getting bumped back til you're clear in April now.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The later dates are great. Much less likely to have to scrub the trip because the drop dead day to leave came and went and the roads are still closed, or getting stopped half way down for a day or two lay over waiting for storms to pass, same with coming back.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Normally I would comment, however, SEMTAV is under Temporary Protected Status until April 7, 2023, by which time he will likely apply for an extension of that existing status.

The humorous part that other readers on this forum seem incapable to recognize our back and forth diatribe is all in good fun. :lol:

What is that saying Donnie Ray, CFS? :roll: