Need a lighter rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

beltfed

Re: Need a lighter rifle

Post by beltfed »

371DDEPP100ydgroup1535RESIZED.JPG
Here is the DDEPP bullet equivalent to my E-MIni if you want to get into paper patching
100yds group. 1402fps. 371 grains
It is my JIM403380 from Baco
beltfed/arnie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I think going to a lighter rifle might complicate medical issues you have. Best to stay with a heavier rifle, but in a smaller cartridge in the .38 or .40 caliber range.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Being the last guy to discourage anybody from wanting a new rifle, But...
If for a one time use at the Quigley, I don't think a lighter rifle will accomplish much for you. Would likely get by just fine with 45-70 or 90 that you have already, look at using 400 gr bullets and 1f powder for reducing felt recoil, because the pound or so of weight you might gain, is going to show up in recoil by the time you load up a 40-65, or even a 38-55 with a heavy enough bullet to reach the buffalo.
Best to visit with your doctor about recoil, hopefully he/she is at least a trap shooter and understands shooting a little bit.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
blkpowderbuff

Post by blkpowderbuff »

My #1 Shiloh Sharps .40-65 weighs in at 12 lb. 2 oz. and shoots sub-m.o.a. groups from the bench at 200 yards. I do love the rifle and the results. I called Shiloh to ask about a lighter .40-65. With standard wood, a standard barrel 28", the rifle would make the weight I am thinking about. I am working out in a cardiac rehab program, lifting light weights, and aiming to get my strength back as soon as safely possible. I don't notice the recoil of my #1 even after a week of shooting every day. My #1, before I had it re-barreled, was originally a .45-90. I did notice that recoil after a couple of days of shooting. After the first open heart surgery in 2011 in March, I shot at Forsyth in June with a 12 pound Browning .40-65 with no issues with recoil. If I don't find anything for sale that meets the need to stabilize a match bullet and be lighter, I can shoot my #1 again. I can't do worse off hand than I did this past year!!!! I appreciate everyone's input about light rifles and recoil, the weight of Brownings, and the availability of rifles. BTW, Gary Geissler shot his Borchardt sporter at the Q more than one year chambered in .45-90 or a big .44 caliber at around 9 pounds.

Chuck
blkpowderbuff

Post by blkpowderbuff »

beltfed wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:08 am 371DDEPP100ydgroup1535RESIZED.JPG
Here is the DDEPP bullet equivalent to my E-MIni if you want to get into paper patching
100yds group. 1402fps. 371 grains
It is my JIM403380 from Baco
beltfed/arnie
I love the results and the lighter weight. In my Shiloh .40-65 I am shooting a BACO Money bullet with two relieved bands, around 420 grains and getting sub m.o.a. groups from the bench at 200 yards. Our velocities are also similar.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

My Shiloh 3 band military weighs 9lbs 7 ounces. I put a tang and front globe sight on it like the Military Creedmoors in Marcot's book. It's a 44-77 and I shoot it at silhouette matches. It does well with gg bullets and I'm working on the pp loads. I had a 7 pound Shiloh carbine in 45-70 that beat the daylights out of me. Not sure why you want a lighter rifle if you want less recoil.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Really sort of sounds like you might be well served to get a cross no liner for that 40-65 and work on your offhand technique , while you figure out just what you want from your next rifle.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

OP,

See your pm's.

Clarence
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I think it's more about being comfortable, and being able to continue to compete and do what you enjoy. So staying with a rifle and cartridge that's going to make shooting comfortable, but maybe not going to keep you shooting in the top 25 shooters at Quigley is more important than winning Quigley.
Too much emphasis is being put on whether you can win the Quigley shoot, when it's likely more important that you can continue to go there and just compete, and keep enjoying shooting.
blkpowderbuff

Post by blkpowderbuff »

I totally agree with the "Quigley Rule #1" "HAVE FUN." That's my goal. And if shooting my 12 pound Shiloh #1 is fun by the time I am ready to leave home for the match due to good recovery and hard work to get my upper body strength back, I will bring the #1. It's a beautiful rifle and shoots like a dream. If shooting the High Wall is fun by then, meaning I have a load it likes and it's comfortable to shoot, it would be fun to try a different rifle. I still have things to find, a 3/8" dovetail spirit level front sight, a Hoke base for an 1885, or a whole sight. Just doing that is fun in the short term. I'm selling a Browning BSS to pay for the rifle. So, that's making room in the safe for it. It's been a few years since I got a rifle ready for competition. I enjoy the process too. Plus I get great advice from my friends.

Chuck