accidental discharge when setting trigger

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

accidental discharge when setting trigger

Post by gunlaker »

I've shot quite a few thousands of rounds down a number of Shiloh's and today got a surprise with my favorite Silhouette rifle.

I'd shot maybe 10-12 rounds this morning and everything was working well. Then the next shot the rifle went off while setting the trigger. The next shot the trigger wouldn't set at all ( no click ) so I took the round out and re-adjusted the trigger and the rifle seems fine. I had to back the screw out maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn to get it working right.

It hadn't been shot in a few months and the temperature was maybe a few degrees above freezing.

Is there likely anything wrong with the rifle?

In the past I had to make adjustments to the trigger now and then, but in 10+ years of shooting these rifles I've never had one go off when setting the trigger.

thanks,

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Re: accidental discharge when setting trigger

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Suggest you call Shiloh and ask for Kirk or Lucinda.
They may want you to mail the lock to them for inspection.
When was the last time you cleaned the lock mechanism?
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ranch23

Post by ranch23 »

All things mechanical are subject to failure, sometime, for whatever reason. That's why we all practice safe gun handling.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Why don't you give me a call Chris instead of putting it out there for people to throw guesses your direction, pretty sure we can get
what ever it is straightened out.

Kirk,
semtav

Post by semtav »

This brings up another issue
I remember a couple years ago, a thread where people were asked which they do first, set the trigger or cock the gun. Seems the majority cock the gun and then set the trigger. I set the trigger first for this and another reason.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Kirk wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:55 am Why don't you give me a call Chris instead of putting it out there for people to throw guesses your direction, pretty sure we can get
what ever it is straightened out.

Kirk,
Will do Kirk. I just didn't want to interrupt your busy day with a phone call for a small problem that might just be gummed up trigger parts.

thanks,

Chris.