.50 or .54?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
George Babits

Re: .50 or .54?

Post by George Babits »

Yes, the dimensions on the accurate moulds can be altered to whatever you want. If you work through an order form it all falls into place. I've ordered 3 or 4 moulds from them and had them all cut somewhat larger than what he shows in his catelog.

George
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

There ate three options for ordering from him.
Dia minus 2 right on + or -1 or dia +2. As you spec the mold its an option, its easy to miss.
And you order any dia. you want
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Yep, own a couple of his molds and they are excellent.
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

I received the Farmer and it is in almost new condition even thought it appears to have been fired quite a bit. I say that because I discovered the breech block sits too low in the receiver and the gas plate is not in proper alignment with the chamber. The result is the gas plate is heavily eroded just above the opening. It turns out the lever link is too short.

I installed a link from one of my other Shilohs and that brought the block into proper alignment. I experimented with the short link by silver soldering steel plugs into the screw holes and then redrilling them. It got the block much closer to proper alignment but I decided to send the gun to Kirk to have the gas plate and link replaced.

I shot several rounds from 50 yards off-hand and it seems like it has pretty good accuracy. I bought a Moose Moulds Christmas Tree mould and it throws beautiful bullets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I’m sure Kirk will fix it up proper. Looks like it has some corrosion pitting scattered in various places from powder residue not being cleaned off over the years. My first Sharps was a 3 band military 1863 Farmindale, 54 Cal. Never should have sold it. Fun rifle to shoot.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Serial #548 - could be wrong but I think receiver was stamped with lettering that said it was manufactured by the Drovel Tool Co. in New York