Shopping for Rear Sight now

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ccongos@me.com

Shopping for Rear Sight now

Post by ccongos@me.com »

As funds are clearing, I'm starting to narrow down what tang sight I will want. Sure could use some opinions.

1874, 30", 45-70. I'll be standardizing on a 500 to 525 Postel (or similar) in the near future. This will eventually be to compete, though I don't think I'll be what you all would consider "hard-core". But still don't want to be laughed at either.

I'm liking the MVA's, either the #108 or the #101. The 108 is more traditional-looking, and gives a little more elevation. The 101 gives double the windage, but with a modern look and for $130 more.

I really prefer a classic look on my rifle, so my heart leans 108. But am I screwing myself in the future on a particularly windy day? Or should I be looking at the long range sights, knowing that I won't ever be able to push a 500+ gr bullet to 1300+ fps with my setup.

Your thoughts?
-Chad
Woody

Re: Shopping for Rear Sight now

Post by Woody »

Been competing with these rifles for many years. Look hard at a long range soule by MVA, Baldwin, or Hoke. All are quality products. You can dial the long range down to 100 yards or less, yet still reach past the 1,000 yard line. The buffalo soule style is not necessary for 99 percent of long range shooting. Even at Raton, I have hit the stops only once, after many long range matches. I placed an adjustable front sight on my dedicated long range rifle so that I can add additional windage in the future.

All of my rifles carry MVA sights and scopes.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Fwiw, a properly loaded 45-70-500 will absolutely make 1300 fps. And that's before the paper patch guys get ahold of you . The Army rated the round at 1315, and a compressed charge of OE 2f under the Govt bullet will do it. My rifle wears an MVA LR Buffalo Soule. Might not need it, but I like having it. (It's a 50-70, my 45-70s are trapdoors)
Limber Up!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you ever want to compete, get a Soule sight. Anything else is going to impact your ability to quickly and precisely adjust windage. The 108 might look better to you, until you try and use it at a match.

Get a midrange if you only want to shoot silhouette. Long range otherise.

I have a couple of the "Buffalo" ones and have come close to needing them. If you shoot in a really windy place you might need them. I find that the drum sticks out pretty far. I once caught myself accidentally making a windage change with my thumb.

Chris.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Luke wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:07 pm Fwiw, a properly loaded 45-70-500 will absolutely make 1300 fps. And that's before the paper patch guys get ahold of you . The Army rated the round at 1315, and a compressed charge of OE 2f under the Govt bullet will do it. My rifle wears an MVA LR Buffalo Soule. Might not need it, but I like having it. (It's a 50-70, my 45-70s are trapdoors)
I do shoot paper patch but I will be the first to say that depending on where you shoot 1300 fps isn’t needed either. I have seen some good long range scores put up at 1000 and 1200 with loads going just under 1200 with grease groove bullets but they were with 520ish grain bullets.
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Excellent info gents.
-Chad
bobw

Post by bobw »

I have a #108 on a 50-70 . At a local match I shoot once a month out to 400yds it would probably get the job done 90% of the time. At the matches up in Montana I attend it would be woefully inadequate. On my Mt roughrider 30" barreled 45-70 I use up there is a MVA LR Buffalo Soule sight. I have more than a few times needed between 22moa and 44moa left or right windage to stay on target to 1200 yds. So buy once and cover all , LR Buffalo Soule and be done with it. Just my 2 cts worth. Bobw
bobw