Light Loads for a Lady.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

alans49

Light Loads for a Lady.

Post by alans49 »

Hey guys and gals,
I have been married for 20 years and no time at all during this marriage has my wife shown and interest in my hobbies. I have a Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rife and it really turned out nice. Just for the fun of conversation, I asked my wife if she would like to shoot it. This about knocked me over, "Maybe, will it kick much". My jaw about hit the floor and I told her "that there are ways to load a light or easy load and I would load some up". I read somewhere that you can reduce the powder charge and use filler like corn meal if I remember right, but I cannot not find any specifics. Could someone help me out and just maybe, she will enjoy this and join me at the Quigley!

Thanks Much

Alan
Alan in WI
Wildbear

Post by Wildbear »

For starters, a light(er) bullet. What is your rifle chambered for? What does it weigh? Heavy or standard barrel??

Yes, you CAN do this!!
Wildbear
"It ain't just what you do, but where you do it"
alans49

Post by alans49 »

I knew I would forget something when I type this up. Thanks for your quick reply. It has a standard 30" barrel. It is a 45-70. I have an adjustable mould so I can cast some pretty light bullets. I just need some direction.

Alan
Alan in WI
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can go down to around 60 grs of 2f with a .030 fiber wad and a 500 gr bullet and still get good powder bullet contact.
You might try some 405 gr bullets with as little of powder as will make good contact with the bullet base.
Then if she gets along with those lite loads slowly walk her up to the full stuff. She'll likely be able to handle the recoil alright with a bit of training.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

alans49,
My wife also took up shooting a few years back. Although she prefers the smaller .40 and .38 calibers, I worked up some .45-70 loads that are not too rough. I've used both the 405 (really 420 gr.) Lyman and 480 gr SAECO bullets with FG Schuetzen or FG Swiss. Without looking at my nots, the powder was around 60-62 gr. The lighter 420 gr. and Schuetzen powder loads shot with little recoil. They also worked good out to the Turkey line or to 600 yards on paper targets. Although it means much more loading and prep work for me, I'm enjoying shooting much more since my wife has been shooting. The only problem has been getting beat by her a couple times. :) Frank M.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Alans49,

In addition to the other excellent suggestions, if your wife happens to be a somewhat taller gal you might try one of the Shooters Friend slip on recoil pad from Sagebrush Shooters supply for $20. They will make the LOP a little longer. They also have the added benefit that they really help keep the stock from the occasional slipping a small amount on the shoulder, when the gun fires.

Regards
dmarable

Post by dmarable »

This can be successfully done, as there are several good women shooters. I’m referring to women that win matches. One of those gals is Sidra Bagwell. She won some prestigious matches shooting a 40-65. She is a small woman.

Don
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

alans49, A very "lite" load I have found(IF smokeless is OK)for .45-70
is 14grs. Unique, 405gr. bullet, std. primer and a FIRM crimp. This is a ver nice, light recoiling load and shoots very well too.
Best of luck.
Respectfully,
LG
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Besides considering lighter loads for your wife to shoot, you need to think accuracy as well. If your wife can't hit what she's aiming at to get that simple satisfaction of, "I hit it" she may well not want to shoot again.

Beware, women can become addicted & are also very competitive.

Kelley O.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Dang Kelley, :shock: What you said, sure makes me think you have already know my wife Barbara. :mrgreen:
Rewspectfully,
LG
bpcrshooter62

Re: Light Loads for a Lady.

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

hi all have good ideas that will all work well the slip on pad IMO would work really well instead of corn meal or other fillers you could use a bunch of wads as i that is what i use to take up powder space in my reduced chicken loads hope all works out well for you good luck
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:20 pm hi all have good ideas that will all work well the slip on pad IMO would work really well instead of corn meal or other fillers you could use a bunch of wads as i that is what i use to take up powder space in my reduced chicken loads hope all works out well for you good luck
You're responding to a 14 year old post :lol:
amprat

Post by amprat »

Kind of glad it happened. Been pondering reduced BP loads for mine. As my shoulder is healing up none too well, and I'd like to make some smoke ..and holes in paper.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Take a look at Circle Fly Wads.

https://circlefly.com/products

My wife wanted to "try" it as well.

I made some 45-70 loads using a couple of 1/2 thick wads, a Lyman 457132 bullet and , if memory serves me right, about 30 grns of Swiss 1 1/2F.
She was able to tip over pigs with that load and that was enough to pique her interest.
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
taylorz1

Post by taylorz1 »

What constitutes a light load for some would be heavy for others. In the average rifle a 60gr load with a 400-500gr bullet is going to “kick hard” for someone who is not a shooter. Having gotten kids and a wife and various girlfriends before the wife shooting I would rec something along the lines of 30-40gr of powder and a 350gr bullet in the 45-70. Even better a cast roundball over a gallery load of smokeless. You will need to use a filler if you go that light with black powder but 30gr-40gr of powder and equal volume of cornmeal will give you a reasonable powder column for the short light bullet to seat down on. Dont worry much about accuracy at first. Set up a big steel target close enough to hit easily. You want the first experience to be fun and not intimidating. Id rec forgetting about the set trigger and just have her use the front trigger unset. That set trigger can mess with the minds of new shooters (and old ones too ha). My kids shoot a 32-40 with a 200gr bullet and 35gr of powder and it shoots fine out to the rams.