.22 barrel liner conversion

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: .22 barrel liner conversion

Post by gunlaker »

Perentie wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:03 pm Can anyone confirm they have a slight bend in them. As far as we can see the breech end would have to be parallel to the bore for headspace, then bend down to bore centre then back again to be parallel with centre bore. Or are they straight and just take up the bends as they are screwed in.
I think the latter as they have to rotate as inserted, but someone in a previous post said he looked through his and it was bent slightly.

Keith
Yes they do have a bend. At least mine does :-)

Chris.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

gunlaker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:22 pm
Perentie wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:03 pm Can anyone confirm they have a slight bend in them. As far as we can see the breech end would have to be parallel to the bore for headspace, then bend down to bore centre then back again to be parallel with centre bore. Or are they straight and just take up the bends as they are screwed in.
I think the latter as they have to rotate as inserted, but someone in a previous post said he looked through his and it was bent slightly.

Keith
Yes they do have a bend. At least mine does :-)

Chris.
Yes, a bend. As mine is properly clocked for windage, (slot at 12ish o'clock), the liner is located in the upper half of the case, making it's position higher than the center of the bore, the wraps of tape under the shrink tubing on the liner centers the liner in the bore. I've got 1 for 40 cal & 45, they're accurate.
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Looks like I am on my own and have to make it myself. Gunsmith not interested.
Another question. How tight does it fit the rifling? As it engages and say the twist is 1 in 16 and the liner is over 20 inches long. Then it must do over one complete revolution as one slides it in. Is this correct? Must make indexing a bit hard.

Keith
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Perentie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:39 pm How tight does it fit the rifling? As it engages and say the twist is 1 in 16 and the liner is over 20 inches long. Then it must do over one complete revolution as one slides it in. Is this correct? Must make indexing a bit hard.

Keith
I rewrapped both mine year or so ago. Fit seems snug not tight.
As for clocking it, as long as you don't need to adjust it back against the rifling you're good, if you go past where it needs to be, push it out a little bit so you can turn it back as needed, reinsert it'll come to you quick. If it needs to go a bit further and it's seated I've been able to get it to rotate just a tick further to it's index spot while inserted completely.

never gave the twist rate of the barrel it's being inserted in any thought, not worth the effort, this literally takes seconds.
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Great . Thanks for that. Mine is for a .40 cal and I an using .405 Winchester cases. My end mill bit just arrived so I can mill the hole in the right place for the liner tube to fit into.
Keith
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

Shadow 4, the twist is 1-16, the liners are made using Redman liners.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

art ruggiero wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 am anyone use the lee shaver insert do you like it? thanks art
G'day Art

I've got the Shaver one, as have a number of other blokes I shoot with down here.
We imported them about 15 years ago when there weren't any restrictions.
They are different to the Crossno ones as they use a cartridge carrier for the .22RF round.
They headspace off the front of the chamber using a brass nut

Everyone that has one is getting very good accuracy with them.
When I first installed mine in a .45-70 Sharps, I was getting sub-2" groups with it @ 200m.

Lee also made me a cartridge carrier to suit my .40-70 Straight so I can use the liner in that as well.
They are a bit clumsy to use until you get the hang of loading but they use the rifles extractor so you 'aint digging around they end of your chamber with a screwdriver... :shock:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia