Bench Source Set Up for Straight Wall Cases

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BlackJack

Bench Source Set Up for Straight Wall Cases

Post by BlackJack »

Hello All, been reading posts and watching vids on setting up for straight wall cases from 45-60 to 45-100 and mostly find for bottle neck cases. I'll be using ONE torch for now. I only have 50 Star-line 45-100 cases and don't want to ruin ANY! I read about how far/near to set the torch flame and high/low and how many seconds from 3-7 seconds or just when the brass just turns orange on bottle neck not straight. Any ideas on straight cases like my 45-100, etc. using one torch about the position of the torch and about the timing? I'm thinking about a 1/4" down from rim, tip of outer flame just touching case and about 3-4 seconds? Any ideas? Rich
gus65

Re: Bench Source Set Up for Straight Wall Cases

Post by gus65 »

The mouth not the rim
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Sounds like a good place to start. Think you will find that your time is a bit short for the 45-100 case, But, just run it through a second time if you don't like the first result.

I anneal in near darkness in my man-cave. I started off using Tempalac, but it is a pain so I just go by color and have never had a problem. A light orange is what I go for and on Starline 40-65 cases that takes about 5 sec with a single torch (too much hassle to use 2 torches).

From the pic you can see I leave the torch end in the fixture and screw the propane tank on & off so I don't have to adjust each time. It is about 1" from the case which means the center of the blue is just touching the case.

A small bottle lasts for several thousand cases. I bought a 6-pack of bottles when I bought the annealer 6yr ago and am on bottle #5. Unless you "fry" a case, you should be good as you work your way up to what settings work best for you.
annealer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Hello again Glenn! Thanks for the info! I've read about the templac several others didn't like it either. I got a hose w/cutoff ordered so I can leave the torch set. Have 2 bottles to start which looks like that will last me awhile. Nice pic! You mentioned about the position of the flame was that the smaller inter blue flame or the outer flame just touching the case? I'll probably turn lights down low and run 3-4 test cases and watch for the cases to just turn orange while start test at 4 seconds and go from there. I guess I'll set the height of the torch about a 1/4" -3/8" from the mouth opening? Thanks again-Rich
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Am getting good results with about a 1" distance from the edge of the case mouth to the nozzle. The center blue flame is just touching the case.
Glenn
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Thanks Glenn, I'll experiment with that and see what happens. Later on gotta do some 45-60s, 45-70s, 45-75, 45-90s and do the 45-100s hopefully next week or maybe this weekend. Haven't heard from BACO yet on shipping the Bench Source I ordered it last Friday. Thanks again for your help! Rich
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Once set up you likely will not have to adjust the plate for those different cartridges as the cases are pretty much all the same (not sure about 45-75 - no familiar with). You will only need to adjust the vertical on the flame, which is the easiest of all the mechanical adjustments. I keep a small note-book with time settings for all the various cases I anneal.
Glenn
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Good morning Glenn :D Thanks for the info! Making notes is a must! The 'ol 45-75 (bottle neck) was a cartridge chambered in the '76 Winchester. Hopefully will get info from BACO today about shipping the annealer bought last Friday. Stay Safe! Rich