Backstops

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

marlinman93

Re: Backstops

Post by marlinman93 »

That was our club's solution; to just use larger diameter target boards, so the smaller targets have some border to show misses. Of course if someone has big misses it's still a problem, and tough to get new shooters on target at our 1000 yd. range, even with 8'x8' backers.
TimW

Post by TimW »

LazyM wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:58 pm Unfortunately, no. The club takes care of all the mantenance, but I did ask. 😏
Better to ask forgiveness, than permission!!
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

It is a dang if you do and dang if you don't. Range maintenance is/can be expensive on most ranges with dirt berms. The club may do work on them, but it will never be enough, especially at 600 yards to see hits on the berms. If you take the vegetation off the berms, you have to worry about erosion of the dirt. Without monthly maintenance ruts will start to form in the berms and vegetation will slowly start growing in from the sides. We have monthly .22 BPCR matches at our ranges. We have smoothed the berms out and put small "pea" size gravel on the face of the berms. You can really see the misses off the targets on the berms with that arrangement plus the targets really standout on the light colored gravel. Again, it takes some club member(s) to go out there on their own time and go up & beyond what the club does to keep it in shape. I personally go out to our range a week before our matches and rake the 50, 100, 150 and 200 berms smooth on the gravel and fill in any ruts that start to form or if some club member has shot 50 rounds at a paper target and has wore a hole in the gravel. Because no one goes to our 500 berm and does the same thing, it has over grown time after time. The last time you could see the light colored gravel on the 500 berm was on a work day and I went out there with a weed eater and rake and cleared the area directly behind the targets and under-covered the gravel again. That lasted for about one year. No one has taken the time to do it since. I guess what I am trying to say, don't expect someone else or the club to do it. Take it on yourself to do it. You might have to get it approved with the board of directors at your club, but at least you can enjoy it the next time you go to the range. BTW, don't expect any thanks given to you for it either, lol.