Montana Elk & Deer

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Montana Elk & Deer

Post by SSShooter »

Friend is coming over to cast some bullets to start practicing for his muzzle loading hunt in Montana later this year. He is wondering if Montana has any rule on lead for the bullets. Or, is any mix (say 20-1) good? He will shooting minie-balls in a 50cal Hawken.
Thanks.
Glenn
Dan O

Re: Montana Elk & Deer

Post by Dan O »

In the reg's book on page 24 it states under the Muzzleloader Heritage Hunting Season Lawful Weapons 87-1-304 (9) Plain lead projectiles. Then it goes on to describe the type of rifle that is legal. Then on page 25 it again states must only use plain lead projectiles. Then later is says sabots are illegal but then states skirts or gas checks on the base of the projectile are acceptable.

I think pure lead projectiles are meant to be the goal of the rule but a 20-1 mix could possibly skate by. I would suggest you figure out what your hunting area will be then contact the warden that works that area and ask him up front if it would meet the intention of the rule. If your using a t/c maxi-ball pure lead will work. If you harden it from my experience it will just punch a 50 caliber hole in one side and out the other. Personally I would use pure lead and go for the lungs/heart area.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

If he plans to shoot minie balls they don't work all that great unless cast from pure lead. A 20:1 mix may prevent the "skirt" from expanding.

Geprge
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

George he needs more powder to get his skirt blown out, or up lol.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Aside from my Parker Hale 58 Enfield, I use a 54 caliber minie in my Shiloh 1863 infantry rifle. Even with 75 grains of FFFg the minies have to be pure lead if I expect to hit anything.

George
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I can tell you a pure lead round ball in my .58 Hawken drops elk. Deer are easy, the minie ball, maxi's, round ball all work. Shot placement and distance is what really matters. Its generally windy during a hunt, and round balls drift.
kw