Prone spotting scope/ stand

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Prone spotting scope/ stand

Post by semtav »

What is the best prone spotting scope stand.
What is the best spotting scope when wearing glasses. I hate trying to see thru a scope with my glasses on.
Thanks
SSShooter

Re: Prone spotting scope/ stand

Post by SSShooter »

Are you thinking of a scope & stand for the shooter while shooting prone? If so, you will definitely want an angled scope with an LER (long eye-relief) eye-piece. Kowa would be your go-to for the scope unless you can find an LER eye-piece from some of the other scope makers.
For the stand, you will want something that gets the scope down to your eye-level when prone.
This is probably as popular as any and is high quality, but there are others:
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... orts_brand
Champions choice sells a lighter-weight that is less $$ but not nearly as stable.
Check out the high-power websites (Accurate Shooter Forum and such). They shoot without spotters so have this down well. Occasionally you can find a deal in their classifieds for either a spotting scope and/or stand.
Glenn
semtav

Post by semtav »

SSShooter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:00 pm Are you thinking of a scope & stand for the shooter while shooting prone?
Yes
I currently have a Brunton with angle eyepiece, that I like except for the glasses issue.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Brunton? Thought that was for bird watching.

Ideally, an angled, long eye relief at least 25-27 magnification, at a minimum for a down scope. Mostly for conditions and verifying score. A stand that allows one from position to simply turn their head to the eyepiece, remain n position, and clearly see the target. Which can be a tall order.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I have the Creedmoor sports stand and love it. my scpoe goes from 20x-80x.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

You will probably find that most zoom lenses do not have long enough eye relief for those of us who wear glasses (or who wear safety glasses) and want to be able to see the full field of view.

Kowa makes long eye relief fixed power eye pieces for their scopes.
My Vortex Razor spotting scope has a fixed power long eye relief eye piece.
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

Last year, right before the Desert International black powder match, I was fortunate enough to acquire a Gearbuggy spotting scope stand. It works quite well prone - thanks to Dennis A. - I took his advice and got the 8” spool to offset the scope from the stand pole. They are heavy. I saw at least three of these stands on the line this year.

Unfortunately, their website doesn’t appear to be up right now. A gentleman named Phil McLeod took over the business after his uncle Wayne (who developed and manufactured the stands) passed away. I believe it is a side business for Phil as he works in/manages/owns (?) a machine shop as well.

If you are interested, PM me and I will send you Phil’s cell number. I had to wait quite a while to get my stand, but it was worth it.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks all.

OV. I found your old thread on the subject

So far it's:
Creedmoor
Chippewa
Gear Buggy.

Might have to try these then decide what I can do about the scope.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

I have a one inch Chippewa stand that I use, with a Kowa TSN 820 fixed 32 power wide lens, that I use for laydowns, works well for me.