Trapdoor repair

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Trapdoor repair

Post by Woody »

Some may know that last weekend at Friendship my Model 1884 Springfield reached the end of it’s initial failure test. It only took 137 years and many thousands of rounds to fail. You would think they would have made it to last longer.
During the April Silhouette match the latch that opens the closed breech fell off as I opened the breech. Examination showed that the cam shaft that locks the breech closed had broken at the latch handle. I was able to finish the match by using the cam assembly from Ian Egbert’s Model 1888 Springfield. The assembly is held in place with one screw and is easily removed and reinstalled. On Monday, I located a original NOS cam for $20 plus shipping from a vendor in New York. It arrived in todays, Friday, mail after only four days.

It was as advertised. As new, but originally manufactured over 100 years ago. I compared the dimensions between the two parts and they were identical, to the thousands of an inch. The square section of the shaft slid snugly onto the latch lever and was proud by approximately .010 inch. I peened it to lock it as it was originally, then stoned the peening marks flush the way it was when I bought this rifle 34 years ago.

Ready for another 100 plus years.

Here are a few pictures to show you what I’m talking about.
breech of action showing the resessed camming surface.jpg
broken cam shaft and NOS replacement.jpg
broken cam shaft showing crystaline break.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Re: Trapdoor repair

Post by Woody »

A couple more pics.
peening the cam shaft.jpg
Finished repair.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Good job looks as good as new your off to the races again or shall we say off to the shoots again :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Nice work.
If you've not visited the Springfield Armory (now a museum) in Springfield, MA, it is worth the visit.
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

Glenn

I've been there when it was still active. Dad moonlighted there in the early sixties. I've seen the organ pipes and lots of neat stuff in the back rooms. Same for West Point in the late-seventies. We have many wonderful museums across this country. I recently re-visited the Patton Museum in Fort Knox. Totally different and I will say, better than what it was in the early 70's when I was stationed there.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Good Job Woody. I think your trapdoor was out of warranty. Thank God they made over 1/2 million of them so parts are not that hard to find.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
bryany

Post by bryany »

you should be more careful with your toys. That's why you don't have nice stuff, you're too ruff with it.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

good job Woody, you got that when it was issued service rifle?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Right behind you Huey.

Boy you guys sure go hard on a guy that is only trying to get the advertised wear out of an item.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Don't let them bother you, Woody. We know you got yours after Custer's last stand. :wink:
Glenn
Drahopa7

Post by Drahopa7 »

I think it is amazing that parts, 125+ years old, made essentially by hand, simple milling equipment and forging is within tolerance. It is amazing what a skilled work force can accomplish by hand. We would need a cnc machine and autodesk to make it now.
A friend offered to trade me a 50-70 trapdoor 10 years ago.
What is a 50-70, I asked wide eyed!
I am still running down that rabbit hole..

Marc M
Houston, Tx