Motor Honey

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BlackJack

Motor Honey

Post by BlackJack »

Hello shooters :D! Over last 50+ yrs of reloading I've used different makes of case lube for sizing some good some not so good. Today I sized about 50 of my Jamison 45-100 cases and tried a substance called "Motor Honey". It looks like and flows like honey and just takes alittle bit (it goes along way) and it worked like a champ! I had expanded these cases awhile back to fit .458 GG bullets and it took some forcing to size them back down. So, after a friend suggested had I ever tried the Motor Honey I replied no! Well I got some and it works! I may put a touch of it on the patched bullets to help in hand seating to protect the patch paper. Anyone else ever used it?
George Babits

Re: Motor Honey

Post by George Babits »

I had a good friend years ago who used STP as a case lube. Worked great. I use RCBS lube and it is about the same consistancy as STP. I keep telling myself I should try STP. I'm guessing that Motor Honey is probably about the same stuff.

George
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I have been using STP for over 40 years. It is a bit messy and if you slightly over apply it likes to dimple the case. but I still am using the original pint bottle it goes a long way.

Charles
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I have a tub of pure lanolin which is an ingredient in my bullet lube. It works very well as a case sizing/reforming lube, it also washes off easily too. It needs a very thin wipe on the case to avoid wrinkles, a 2 stage size approach works.
kw
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Lanolin oil mixed with denatured alcohol in a spray bottle works well for me. It separates out so just need to shake it well before spraying on the cases - a little goes a long way. Mix at approximately 15 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin oil.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've been using Imperial sizing wax for cases that I have to do heavy reforming to make them fit oddball old single shots I own. Many decades of using it, and it's still the best, and still working on my first can too! It takes very little, and just apply it with my fingers to the case. No mess, or sticky fingers.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I bought a new can of imperial to replace my origional, it was green tinted and had rcbs on the tin. I broke two shell holders forming winchester cases to 40-65. I was unimpressed with the new formula. The old stuff was really good.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

I have been using Hornady case lube for years and a tube last a long time just started on my secound tube and have been loading for 30 plus years
Woody

Post by Woody »

Been using the Hornaday One Shot spray for about 5 or 6 years. Not as cost effective as the RCBS lube and pad that I used for 45 years but so much easier. Just a little spray and you don't have to wipe it off after sizing.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Another vote for Hornady spray lube which I've been using for many years, ever since I started BPCR. As Woody noted it's easy (nothing is faster that I've tried) & there's no need to clean the cases afterwards.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Woody wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:41 pm Been using the Hornaday One Shot spray for about 5 or 6 years. Not as cost effective as the RCBS lube and pad that I used for 45 years but so much easier. Just a little spray and you don't have to wipe it off after sizing.

Woody
For normal reloading that doesn't require case forming I also have used Hornady's One Shot for many years. I love it, and found a bunch at our local gun show for less than half price, so bought the whole case he had. Set for life now. At least whatever years I have left!!