Smithmoor Winter Series Finale

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Winter Series Finale

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends, 4/26/2023

As I sit here, trying to put thoughts into words on my computer, I can’t get over the various feelings and emotions behind “it’s over.” Man, we had a good time this year at our winter series matches. It’s almost like when you get home from a great vacation or hunting trip. It’s about all you’ve thought about for months, then you went and had a great time, and now…..its over. I’m already thinking about this coming November and our 10th season. I hope everyone enjoyed this year’s winter series as much as I did.

We had a full house of 30 shooters who had all been regular competitors all season long. The conditions were, well humiliating for some of us and a challenge for others. We all stayed quite comfortable from the firing line in the shooting shed, but temps ranged from the 30’s into the low 40’s. The winds were enough to make the Pope swear, however. They ranged from 15 to 45 mph and varied greatly. The flags were not much help as they were stuck straight out and you couldn’t hardly tell the difference in the velocity. Of course, the difference between 15 mph and 45 mph is way more than enough move your shot off an animal. Several of our shooters figured it out though, and top hands they are! Craig Wolf, Michael Jackson, and Grizz all cleaned the prone. Wow! Awesome shooting fellas! I am especially proud of Grizz for his good shooting. He has shot at Smithmoor for many years, and this is his first clean prone here. Great Job Grizz!

I had a grand plan for the fifth station gongs this month, and it didn’t work out like I thought. We had various gongs up at the 200 meter line with different point values for each of them. The highest point value was a 10 for a 2” round gong. It never occurred to me it would become the center of attention, but boy it did! Most shooters spent the whole time trying to hit it. In our combined AAA/AA/A class Seth Tangeman shot a very good 46 to be 1st. In GM/M class, Michael Jackson shot a super 59 to be first, while veteran rifleman and all around great guy Doc Bement shot a phenomenal 60 to be the 5th Station winner. Doc hit the 2” gong 6 times at 200 meters in gusting 45 mph winds! Wow! Doc took home a Smithmoor jacket for his win. Michael and Seth took home a Smithmoor glass with an antique silver dollar with it.

As usual, we had a feast for lunch. Dick Hennebry graciously purchased the pork for Coralee’s pulled pork sandwiches. Dad treated us with a batch of his famous Cowboy beans, Momma Lorraine made coleslaw, and Ed and Beth brought a bunch of Reese’s peanut butter chocolate cup cakes to celebrate Keith Kelly’s 89th birthday. Wow was it every great! We had fun singing “happy birthday” to Keith and are so pleased he chose to be with us. Thank you Keith for being part of our bunch and letting us celebrate your birthday! You are an inspiration to all of us my friend.

AA/A class went to a very pleased Roger Decker with a 25. Roger is showing lots of improvement! Yahoo Roger! In AAA, we had a tie between Ed Himelhoch and Danny Glick with 30’s. Here at Smithmoor, we like shootoffs, so Ed and Danny battled it out on turkeys. Danny came out on top and took home an awesome scope donated by MVA. He was very pleased. Great shooting Danny! That left Roger in second, and Joshua Tangeman in 3rd with a 29.

We ended up with a 3 way tie for the match winner position with 33’s between Craig Wolf, JD Farmer, and Greg Bybee. It was all settled on the chicken line and left Greg Bybee with 1st Master and JD Farmer in 2nd. It was sure exciting! Michael Jackson was 3rd master with a 31 and Coralee Smith ended up 4th Master with a 28. Coralee took home an awesome pen and clipboard hand made by Dan Womer from a Wyoming Walnut tree! Wyoming Walnut tree?? Yeah, they are about as rare as an honest politician for sure.

In Grand Master class, Dan Womer was 3rd by reverse animal count with a 31, while Michael Rix was 2nd, also with a 31. I was pleased to shoot a 32 and be 1st Grand Master. The Shooting King of our Smithmoor Grand Finale this year was none other than Craig Wolf! Craig was in the three way tie with 33’s and then prevailed in the shoot off to be the winner! Craig is an excellent shot, a great guy, and an avid supporter of our matches. We were all pleased to see him do well and win. He earned it, by gosh, as it was some tough shooting! Fantastic Shooting Craig!

Through some great supporters and Coralee’s creativity we had some very nice awards this year. SPG Sales helped us with some really cool polished and cut rocks that Coralee had turned into some nice trophies. 1st in each class and the Match Winner received these. 2nd place took home a very nice Brad Swenson line box donated by Dick Hennebry, and third place took home a Smithmoor glass and antique silver dollar. Our Match Winner, Craig Wolf, was the very lucky recipient of a super cool hand made knife donated by Seth Tangeman. Craig’s spotter, JD Farmer took home a deluxe Wyoming Sight drifter for being champion spotter. A giant thank you goes out to all our sponsors who helped make the match a success!

With every beginning, there is an end, and this end also has another beginning. The end of our winter season marks the beginning of the summer shooting season and there are so many great matches to go to. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone on the range this summer and back this November for our 10th Smithmoor Winter Series.

Take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Gong Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Steve Anderson 16 1 10 8 7 26
Jack Odor 53 2 10 10 9 31
Mark Pachares 25 4 10 9 6 29
Michael Rix 48 3 9 10 9 31 2nd
Cody Smith iron 14 5 10 7 10 32 1st
Grizz 39 1 10 10 10 31 Clean Prone!
Craig Wolf 14 3 10 10 10 33 MW Clean Prone!
Dan Womer 48 3 10 9 9 31 3rd

Master
Sir Billy Acklin 16 0 9 6 7 22
Doc Bement 60 3 10 6 9 28 Top Gong
Greg Bybee 0 4 10 10 9 33 1st
Dick Farmer 17 3 10 6 8 27
JD Farmer 20 5 10 8 10 33 2nd
Dick Hennebry 10 0 8 10 8 26
Michael Jackson 59 1 10 10 10 31 3rd and 1st gong Clean Prone!
Joe Kapler 22 3 9 9 7 28
Tom Reed 35 2 10 6 9 27
Coralee Smith 16 3 9 10 6 28 4th
Gary Smith 16 0 9 5 8 22

AAA
Emily Anderson 22 3 6 4 7 20
Danny Glick 43 2 10 10 8 30 1st
Ed Himelhoch 28 5 10 8 7 30 2nd
Keith Kelly 21 2 4 4 7 17
Katy Stephenson 24 1 10 7 9 27
Richard Stephenson 13 1 7 6 9 23
Joshua Tangeman 22 2 10 9 8 29 3rd