Patching to groove

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: Patching to groove

Post by bobw »

Drahopa7 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:05 pm I tried patching to the bore.
I got lousy results .
Your barrel dimensions are critical. Most shilohs are .450" bore and .458" groove diameter.. so a bullet dia. + the thickness of the patch must end up under or right at .450" and when you patch that close to the actual bore dia your throat area must be absolutely free of fouling. The bullet upon firing will bump up to fill the grooves. In the 45-70 I use a .442" bullet and a 9lb onion skin paper patch to give me .449 -.4495" dia others here will use .444-.445 bullet and a thinner paper to reach .4495-.4505" I use a 1 in 25 tin to lead alloy bullet the crowd who like bigger bullets and thinner paper like harder alloy like up to 1 in 16 tin to lead. Just that simple. The common denominator being the throat and bore being clean between each shot consistancy of bore condition is of paramount importance. You start right here. Many other things can change your results compression , wads, etc. Just that simple remember 150 years ago they did all that was needed for adequate ammo with hand tools.we tend to forget that. Bobw
bobw
Drahopa7

Post by Drahopa7 »

I have a brooks .442. With 1-20 throws a .441.
With wet wrap and 9 # onion I get a .448 .
I loaded the 45-90 with about 95 grains, .60 fiber wad and 1/8" beeswax lube cookie.
I couldn't get it accurate. Wondering if I made a 1-30 bullet I would get better expansion?
This is pedersolli rolling. Tight 45 degree chamber angle
A friend offered to trade me a 50-70 trapdoor 10 years ago.
What is a 50-70, I asked wide eyed!
I am still running down that rabbit hole..

Marc M
Houston, Tx
semtav

Post by semtav »

You said you have a Hoch 443.
Might have better luck with that.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Drahopa7,
I would eliminate the lube wad, unless this is a hunting load. The Sharps catalog identified a 3/16" lube wad to use in Sharps reloads.

For target accuracy, I wipe every shot with two damp patches [2.5"]. My patched bullet is sized, after patching, to
0.001-0.0015" over bore diameter. When you load the round, you will feel the lands slightly engrave on the paper.
The last thing to pay attention to is to seat the patched bullet about 1'8" into the case, then taper crimp to hold the bullet in place.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Measure the inside diameter of a fired case in this mucked up Pedersoli chamber.

Combine that information with the .177 long throat, you need a bullet that fits both of those areas snugly after patching. Otherwise you will never get that thing to shoot well.

That thicker paper will not be evenly cut by the rifling. Loose it also.

Patch to groove yet a bullet that fits a fired case.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:30 am Ok you guys i have been playing this game for over 20 years now and i still do not understand why you want to put dippers on your bullets :roll: :roll: can some one explain why you want to do this ??? Seams like alot of extra work for what a little more powder in the case?? To me you dont need to be that fast to be accurate ammo !!! My bullets are experienced they do not need dippers !!!!! :D :D :) :)
If you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand. There’s a lot more to the paper patch path than just more powder.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

DD2B1166-2DEC-42F6-95B2-7BC11F82E075.jpeg
That’s a typical Saturday and Sunday for some PP shooters. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Drahopa7

Post by Drahopa7 »

Nice!
A friend offered to trade me a 50-70 trapdoor 10 years ago.
What is a 50-70, I asked wide eyed!
I am still running down that rabbit hole..

Marc M
Houston, Tx