WARNING!!!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

WARNING!!!

Post by TexasMac »

A Browning .45-70 BPCR, serial # 07544NR2B7, listed on GunBroker by Texas Guns & Ammo (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988725086) has a badly pitted bore. I very recently purchased the rifle, then returned it the next day. Upon initial inspection it was obvious the bore was badly rusted to about 8” in front of the chamber with some spotty rust further forward. I should have returned it immediately but spent a couple of hours cleaning the bore with Rem. 40X & JB Paste. At first, there was so much rust it resisted inserting a cleaning patch into the bore. After cleaning the bore & checking it with a borescope I returned the rifle due to the resulting pitting. After the rust was removed the pitting cannot be seen with the naked eye but is very obvious when viewed with a borescope. I informed the seller about the rust & pitting. He subsequently relisted the rifle & indicated it was professionally cleaned by me & the bore is fine. I feel sorry for the person that ends up buying it, figuring he/she is getting a good deal. I will guarantee, due to the significant pitting, any accuracy will fall off quickly due to bore leading & increased fouling.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: WARNING!!!

Post by JonnyV »

We’ll they sure did a nice job bragging about your cleaning skills!

OTOH…if they’d take a little less $, this might become an attractive opportunity for a re-line job.
beltfed

Re: WARNING!!!

Post by beltfed »

It is noted that the top of the breechblock and the tang sight has
"safe rash" as in RUST. And looking closely, there is a trace of "freckle"
on the edge of the muzzle.

I would consider it for a rebarrel with a 35 cal finished to fit a Brg BPCR barrel I have, etc at about 1K or less.
But, I leave it to others. I am to old to mess with it. I am enjoying my 38-50 too much, also.
beltfed/arnie