Palm rest for Shiloh Sharps Schuetzen…

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmkmd

Palm rest for Shiloh Sharps Schuetzen…

Post by gmkmd »

I have a Shiloh Sharps Schuetzen model in .38-55. It would fit me much better for offhand shooting if it had a palm rest. I was wondering if Shiloh ever made this model with a palm rest. Or if it could be retrofitted with a palm rest. Or if it simply was not really meant to be shot offhand.
bobw

Re: Palm rest for Shiloh Sharps Schuetzen…

Post by bobw »

I took a couple of pictures of an original Sharps schuetzen 1 pic showed the hole locations. If someone wants to post that pic for you I can send it to their phone number. They just need to pm me a phone number..bobw
bobw
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

CPA also sells the base, staff, and a Schoyen style knob as separate pieces.

https://www.cparifles.com/collections/parts/Palm-rest
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

I was wondering if the Schuetzens made by Shiloh ever were made with a palm rest.
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

To answer your question without getting too deep in the weeds with details, in 1983-4 (as I recall) myself and several others had the loan of Shiloh ’74 rifles with double prong butt plates, DST, standard weight half octagon 28’ barrels chambered for .40-50 Sharps bottle neck. Sights were globe front with pinhead and windage adjustable tang sight.
C. Sharps and Shiloh (the two companies worked in unison in those days) had the intent to form a team to compete at the Coors Schuetzenfests to promote their products. Bottom line was the ’74 rifles were not really competitive with the Ballard, Stevens 44 1/2, Win HiWall and the up-and-coming Miller rifles in the Schuetzen game. If you wanted to stand in the winner’s circle at the end of the day, the ’74 was a handicap, not an edge.
To the best of my recollection, none of the initial batch of ’74 Schuetzen rifles had palm rests.
The story did have a happy ending though, the BPCR silhouette game was developing and as the old saying goes “the rest is history”.
Randy W