2023 Montana State Championship Silhouette Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

2023 Montana State Championship Silhouette Match

Post by Del »

The 2023 Montana State Championship Silhouette Match was held over the four days of June 22 to June 25. We had 16 BPCR and 2 HP shooters attending on Saturday and 14 BPCR and 2 HP shooters attending on Sunday. Shooters from Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming were in attendance. The weather started on Thursday being quite blustery with the threat of rain in the forecast for all four days. The wind was switching from the south to the north and back again with upwards of 10 or more minutes each way. Luckily the rain held off during the matches but the skies opened up Friday evening with hail and wind but it didn't last for very long. Just long enough to eat a chicken fried steak over a Sparkies Garage in Butte. The wind switched over Saturday and Sunday to being predominantly head winds to occasional tail winds. Saturday there was a short rain storm that we let pass and then resumed shooting. All in all not terrible weather to be out and shooting for the whole event.

Thursday for day one of the scope match had the high shooter going to Bill Huxtable shooting a 31 with 4 chickens. Johnny Spratling was 2nd with a 28 and 3 chickens, and 3rd was a tie with Ted Tompkins and Thom Moore both shooting a 27 with 3 chickens each. Ted is a master and Thom is only AA in scope, however... Friday had the high shooter going to Mike Mondlock who is only AA in scope and shooting a 31 with 6 chickens which puts him in AAA for his next scope match. Ted Tompkins was 2nd with a 27 and 2 chickens. Dave Heninger and Butch Ulsher both tied for 3rd with 26 but Butch got 3 chickens and Dave shot 2.

The overall Scope champion and winner of the MVA Scope was Bill Huxtable shooting an aggregate score of 56, 2nd Overall went to Ted Tompkins shooting a 53, and 3rd Overall was AA shooter Thom Moore shooting a 52. 1st Master was Dave Heninger with a 49, 2nd master was Butch Ulsher with a 47 and 3rd master was Del Niemeyer shooting a 47. 1st AAA went to Johnny Spratling shooting a 47, Dan Smrdel was 2nd with a 46, and Penny Huxtable was 3rd with a 41. Mike Mondlock with his stellar shooting on Friday was 1st in AA shooting an aggregate of 49. Following close behind was Mary Huxtable who was high woman shooter with a 45. High HP shooter was Jeff Ault with a 32.

The Saturday Iron match had the high shooter going to Dave Heninger shooting a 33 with 4 chickens and missing his Grand Slam by one Ram, 2nd went to Johnny Spratling shooting a 31 with 3 chickens and missing his Grand Slam by two Rams, and 3rd went to Del Niemeyer shooting a 27 with 1 chicken. Sunday had the high shooter going to Del Niemeyer shooting a 30 with 5 chickens, 2nd went to Ted Tompkins shooting a 28 and 3rd was a tie between Dave Heninger and Johnny Spratling both shooting 27's but Johnny got 4 chickens and Dave got 3.

The overall Iron champion went to Dave Heninger shooting an aggregate score for the weekend of 60. 2nd Overall went to Johnny Spratling shooting a 58 and 3rd Overall went to Del Niemeyer shooting a 57. 1st Master went to Ted Tompkins and 2nd Master was Butch Ulsher with a 40. 1st AAA went to Dan Smrdel shooting a 46, 2nd AAA was JC Gier with a 41 and 3rd AAA was Gene Davids with a 37. 1st AA was Flint Barger with a 38. 1st B was Kurt Hanson with a 32. The High HP shooter was Rick Amgove shooting a 65 and a Grand Slam with 4 chickens on Sunday.

Montana Vintage Arms supports our state match by giving away a scope to the high Scope Overall winner as well as an Iron Sight certificate to the high Turkey shooter in the Iron Sight Match. As mentioned above, Bill Huxtable won the Scope for High Overall Scope Champion. For the Iron Sight award, four of us tied with high Turkey count of 16. The shooters were Johnny Spratling, Dan Smrdel, Dave Heninger, and Del Niemeyer. The tie was decided by a shoot-off offhand at Turkeys. We all missed the first shot with Johnny, Dan, and myself firing fairly early kind of together and Dave taking his time and shooting well into the one-minute time allotted but also missing. My first shot was just over the back of the turkey so I dropped my sight one minute and for the second one-minute shooting period, my shot came first just ahead of Johnny and Dan and I hit the turkey just under the top of the back. Johnny and Dan came close but missed and Dave, taking his time, took his final shot and missed giving me the win for the Iron Sight certificate!! Don't you just love shoot-offs!!!

On a serious note, the Butte Gun Club Range is being encroached upon by a local couple where they have cut in a road and a hole for a house in hill almost behind the pig line 600 to 700 yards from the shooting line. The excavation guy that had left his cat in the house excavation showed up on Thursday and got it the hell out of harms way. Not sure what these people are thinking but the picture shows what is going on... This picture was taken on the end of the pig shooting line looking east out onto the range.

Fortune Favors the Bold...
Del

Re: 2023 Montana State Championship Silhouette Match

Post by Del »

Woops, I posted the picture and forgot to post the links to the score sheet.

https://www.mtbpcr.com/2023MTStateMatch.html
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Better tell that cat operator to make a big berm out of all that dirt he scraping in order to protect the house from the occasional ricochet…
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

What the heck!?!! What does that mean for the range??
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

That is one of the best score sheet layouts I have seen. Easy reading and "logical". Good job!

Miss seeing Venturino's name. Is he O.K. ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

It is a good-looking score sheet.
However, there appears to be at least 4 addition errors in the Two Day Total column.... :wink:
A couple examples: Ted Tompkins is shown as 27 for each day, but the two day total is shown as 53. Thom Moore is shown as 27 and 24, but the two day total is shown as 52.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Maybe They didnt take their boots off when adding the scores.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Del

Post by Del »

jackrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:27 am What the heck!?!! What does that mean for the range??
Not sure. Two board members for the Butte Gun Club showed up while we were shooting and it seemed pretty new for them too. Hopefully they can get an injunction or something to stop it from going forward until they at least have a chance to deal with it properly rather than just bulldoze a road and foundation in and start building. Kind of like building in meridian of the freeway and then being pissed that there's cars on both sides of you house....
Del

Post by Del »

Aviator wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:34 pm It is a good-looking score sheet.
However, there appears to be at least 4 addition errors in the Two Day Total column.... :wink:
A couple examples: Ted Tompkins is shown as 27 for each day, but the two day total is shown as 53. Thom Moore is shown as 27 and 24, but the two day total is shown as 52.
My bad... lots of numbers to translate from a photo of the score sheet to the webpage... Thanks for pointing out the errors.. Their fixed.

Del
Del

Post by Del »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:23 am That is one of the best score sheet layouts I have seen. Easy reading and "logical". Good job!

Miss seeing Venturino's name. Is he O.K. ?
Actually Mike did show up Saturday afternoon to visit but didn't shoot. He just got done having back surgery where they put an electronic TENS system in his back to stimulate the nerves in his back so they don't hurt. So far it seemed to be helping but the doctors didn't want him to be jarring the stuff they put in so no shooting at least for awhile.

Thanks for the compliment on my webpage...!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Now tgat they’re thus far in they will probably lawyer up.