Finally shooting the no.2 Musket again!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

martinibelgian

Finally shooting the no.2 Musket again!

Post by martinibelgian »

Due to some vague 'works', about the only range where BP can be shot here was closed down for 6 weeks. Today was the 1st time I was able to drag the no.2 Musket match rifle out of the safe for some fun.

After setting up target at 300m, I did notice I only had a 200m ISSF target along, so it was a case of make do. I hadn't shot this rifle for at least 5 months, so I needed to get back into it. For short range, I currently use my 32-20, so this rifle is only used at longer ranges. It is a bit of a powder hog...
This is a large Westley-Richards Francotte Martini ZAR action barreled with an Eichelberger 1:16" barrel, Mike Neuman tang sight and PH7 front. The cartridge is the Brit 500/450 no.2 Musket, so a .500 base case necked down to .450. Quite a lot of work to make the brass, but once you have what's needed, no issue anymore.

Competitions here are shot prone, sling only from the elbows, so that was the way I did it.

Load for today was 83grs of Swiss Fg behind a groove-dia. PP 520gr Metford-style bullet, Which proved to be a sweet spot for this rifle.
2 shots to adjust the sights, and bullets started to land inside the 9-ring of the target, which would be about 2-3 MOA. I'm pretty happy with that, espacially as we had a pretty strong, gusty headwind.
The patch shredded nicely, giving good confetti with only the patch foldover at the base remaining intact. PP's were unlubed, with a thick overpowder card wad. Primers CCI BR2 being used.

Cleaning between shots was with a bore pig, felts front and rear, pushed through with a dry patch, followed by another dry patch in both directions.

Afterwards I also tested a load with 88grs of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, but that wasn't nearly as good - far from, actually. In all, a nice day shooting in challenging conditions, but worthwhile.
Gussy

Re: Finally shooting the no.2 Musket again!

Post by Gussy »

Not familiar with a #2 musket. Could you post a photo?
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Here a pic of the cartridge below. Capacity is more or less 45-90-ish.
No.2 Musket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in PA

Post by John in PA »

I have a Steyr Martini, minty, one of the 1879 Romanian military models, also in No. 2 Musket. I worked up brass and loads but haven't done the development that you have done. I really enjoy bringing life back to the old timers!
And I have one that appears to be a prototype in an odd caliber. No serial number or military proofs, just a marking at the barrel breech under the forearm "-.05". That happens to have a .45 cal cartridge, per chamber cast, that matches the No. 2 Musket but the head and rim are about .050" smaller, matching the head dimensions of the .43 Spanish. I had posted a couple threads on load and cartridge detective work a few years back on CastBoolits, and I think you might have chimed in. :D https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... r+romanian
John Wells in PA

Buncha Shiloh's
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

John,

While I do have both a Roumanian Steyr and Witten model 1879, mine are chambered for the more 'common' no.2 Musket AKA the roumanian issue cartridge for that rifle, so mine definitely is different - I can shoot groove-dia. at .458 without any issues, my rifles have the typical military long, gently tapering throat. But the Steyr also can be scarily accurate when I do things right.
Matter of fact, it is my military match rifle...