Goex Can Dating

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ccongos@me.com

Goex Can Dating

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Gentlemen, I just got a set of 8 cans of old GOEX powder. At $10 per can, I thought that was a pretty good bargain. Been searching on line for this info, and it's just turning up as inconclusive for me, so I thought I'd ask all of you here. Here's a picture of one of the can's bottom. I can't tell if the top line is the date code, or the bottom line. One could be March 1962 and the other could mean May 9th, 1988! Either is feasible, but depending, this can could be significantly older or newer. What say you all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chad
desert deuce

Re: Goex Can Dating

Post by desert deuce »

I can see it is in a white can and the numbers suggest the year 1962, but that is a guess.

Some of the 1F & 2F I have shot from those white cans had a lot of dust so I screened them.

After that shot good enough for midrange and silhouette.

Seem to recall standard large rifle primers worked best with at least 0.250" compression
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Your right. Here's a pic of the front of the can. All of them are like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chad
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I don't think those numbers on a GOEX can are a date. As far as I know, GOEX wasn't even in business then. I first started buying black powder in 1960 and it was all DuPont. It cost $25 retail for a 25 pound keg (a real metal keg) and, if I remember right, it was $1.25 retail in the 1 pound cans. In the late 1960's I was still buying DuPont. I think GOEX came along sometime in the mid to late 1970s. There was a lot of flap about it being inferior to DuPont due to not using distilled water. GOEX was using all the equipment that came from DuPont if I remember right. I remember buying 25 pounds at of DuPont a shoot around 1969 or '70.

George
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

May 9 1988
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Yup, Don's correct. It's May 9, 1988

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Thank you gentlemen!
-Chad